460 inverter - enough power ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike D.

I'm almost thru the commissioning process on a 2000 H460. Not sure if the inverter fed from the house batteries only is intended to run the refrigeration. I've tried it a few times but it seems to kill the batteries on compressor start-up and the inverter kicks off.Is this normal?

M

Mark Johnson

Yes it is!

The inverter is supposed to run the Grunert Refrigeration. It's a big draw on the batteries when it first starts, but should be able to run it with no problem. Check your batteries to make sure they are charged and full of water and also be sure you have the battery switch on BOTH. I can normally get about 8 to 10 hours during the summer before I need to recharge the batteries.

D

Dick McKee

You might want to check your batteries....

for a full charge. Leave them on the shore power charge through the inverter for at least 24 hours. Turn off the inverter and any thing that will draw on the batteries. Let them sit for 2 hours. With a multi meter check the batteries for charge. 12.6v+ 100%, 12.4v 75%, 12.2v 50%, (You dont want to dischageg below that) 12.1v 25%, 11.9 0%. If they won't hold that charge, make the dealer test the inverter and if they are below 12.2v tell the dealer you want new batteies. Hope this helps. Dick McKee S/V Constellation

P

Patrick Magers

460 Inverter

Dear Mike My 460 came with the 2000 watt Heart inverter and found it wasn't big enough to run the frig. Hunter changed it out for a 2500 watt and I've had no problems.

G

Gorodn Myers

Do to the start up load you need .....

a Freedom 25 (2,500 watt) Inverter to always start the compressor.

D

Don Guggenheim

Use genset twice a day

I use my inverter for many relatively low current and/or short time demand items. Microwave, 110 volt lighting, computer, food mixer, blender etc. are all great uses as they do not over tax the batteries. The freezer and frig on our 460 will run from the inverter, however, the demands is very large. I have found on sails, albeit one day or one week, starting with cold boxes, I can go easily twelve hours with only about a four degree change in temp if I don't open the box too often. If overnighting, I run the genset 3/4 to 1 hour to fully recharge the holding plates and batteries should they have been drained from other use after dinner. In the morning, or 12 hours hence, I again recharge the holding plates for 3/4 of an hour after breakfast. This has worked well for me for many multiday sails. I use this system when cruising without any loss of frozen foods and good temps in the frig at all times. Hopes this helps. Don Guggenheim S/V OZ

Status
Not open for further replies.