460 Engine Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Dawson

Recently purchased a H460 and I'm concerned about the location of the engine control panel.It would appear to me that it would be easy to break the ignition key off if someone sat against it. Has anyone relocated this panel or made a protective cover for it?

M

Mark Johnson

Congrats on the new boat!

The engine controls on my 460 are right on the console (you can pictures in the Photo Forum if interested). I forget where they moved the engine control panel on the later hulls. I have seen on some of the Yanmar control panels a piece of plexiglass that fits over the control panel to protect it from the elements. Not sure if it is a add on or it came that way. Why not give Yanmar a call and see if it's something that can be added.

R

Ron

Engine Key

Not sure if this works on your ignition key switch like it does on mine? (93 Legend 37.5) but after starting and the key goes back to a neutral position you can remove the key, without killing the engine (uses pull kill switch) which I always do for the same reason that you are concerned. I simply put a brass hook that I hang it on (cup holder at the helm, so that it readily available in case of an emergency. Ron

C

Claude L.-Auger

Key removal ?

Ron, I read somewhere a while ago that unless the switch was specially wired for it, you could do damage to the alternator or the diodes by removing it. on my 34 (3 GMF) and on my 28.5 prior to that (2 GM 20), the panel has a starter button. You need to turn the key to the ON position and then hit the starter button. After the engine has started, it will keep on running whether the key is ON or OFF since a diesel does not need electricity to run. Hence the warning to leave the key on and avoid possible damage to the electrical system. Just thought I'd ask.

M

Miles

I think that's the battery switch

The Yanmar keyswitch doesn't really do a whole lot. In fact it's a very simple matter to start the engine by just jumping across the terminals on the solinoid with a screwdriver thus bypassing the key, starter button, and wiring harness. As far as I know there's no reason you can't remove the key with the engine running but please correct me if I'm wrong. I think your thinking of the battery selector switch which shouldn't be switched to the "off" position with the engine running. On many of them this will blow up the diodes in the regulator. Now that I think about it I wonder if the temp/oil pressure warnings would work with the key removed? I doubt the fuel gauge would. Maybe that's a good reason to leave the key in and "on"...

C

Claude L.-Auger

Battery switch for sure

will bring damage to the diodes is left on off when engine is running. I know the temp and oil pressure alarms do not work when the keyswitch is off. Turn the key on and the oil pressure alarm will start immediately and remain on until the pressure is built up or the key is turned off. I am just wondering if it does the same type damage to the diodes as the battery switch when left in OFF position ?

W

Wayne Estabrooks

Key on - off

On my 1997 h340 with a 3GM30F engine the key must be on to make the tachometer, fuel gauge and engine alarms work. If the key is off and the engine overheats or the oil pressure goes away the alarm won't sound if the key is off. I don't know if this is true on the 460. (Wish I had a 460!)The engine will continue to run with the key off. I think the plexiglas cover is the correct approach. On a 1999 h410 I chartered, my crew accidentally shut the engine off by leaning on the kill switch and they did this more than once.. The first time is was a real suprise. Wayne, s/v Wind Drift

M

Mike Pilolla

Hunter Replacing Engine Control Pannel

I'm pretty sure that Hunter identified this problem on the newer 460's and 450's. They are replecing these panels with ones that are further recessed, at no charge to the owners. Check with your dealer or Hunter to confirm your 460 qualifies. I bought a new 450 last year and the panel is supposed to be replaced by the dealer soon. Good luck, and let us know how you make out with Hunter. Mike Pilolla

Status
Not open for further replies.