430 alternator upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Jones

I would like to install a high output alternator, 100-130 A, with a Heart 3 stage voltage regulator. It appears the Volvo-Penta does not like this as the field voltage wire also controls the alarms on the engine console and must be somehow jumpered out. Also the Tack which is fed from the alternator will not read correctly as the existing one uses 10 pulses per rev and all american ones use 12 pulses. I know someone must have accomplished this changeover. Any hints would be greatly welcomed.

B

bill walton

me too

I also have a high output alternator on my P42. I've been living with the tach. It not linear in its response. It's close to accurate at idle but seems to diverge as the RPMs increase. I have read the instructions that came with the Balmar alternator but can't grasp how to make the adjustment without replacing the alternator.

B

Bill Sheehy

Tach on Engine

On the Passage 42 the tach is on the engine housing not the Alt. My tach went out around the time I was installing a Balmar 100 amp Alt. I made a trip to see them and they had no answers. I stopped by the Yanmar Dealer/Fixer and he said it should be on the engine somewhere. I found it and cleaned the wires up and it works fine now. To find it look on the Port side of the engine. Look above the starter. The tach doesn't get anything from the Alt.

Status
Not open for further replies.