41 DS. window leak repair

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter 41DS Reed Point Marina
2006 41 DS the window above nav station has a small persistent leak. going to have to remove a rebed i think. looking for an idea on how to temporarily plug the window opening while i rebed the plastic window in the aluminum frame. I was thinking heavy regular plastic and use some kind of waterproof tape. . Any thoughts out there?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That sounds like the right path. I have been putting off windows for a year with a tarp over the cabin. This spring is the window spring.

Dec 1, 2020
Hunter 44 DS Deale, MD
I just did this job on my 44DS last fall. They were leaking between the aluminum and the window, so I didn't have to remove the frame itself. Each window only took a few hours, no need for temporary coverings.

Be sure you very thoroughly clean the aluminum and the edge of the acrylic window so that the new caulking can adhere properly. The existing stuff is silicone based, so nothing sticks well where it has been.

There are lots of good threads here and elsewhere that discuss options and pro's & con's. I ended up with a combination of butyl tape and Dow 795. Holding up so far.