400 TRASH COMPARTMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Leighton

Just took delivery (well, not quite yet, still a bit of work to go...but we've signed the check!) on a new 400. Couldn't believe it, but the darn trash can is impossible to remove from its compartment next to the sink! Just after the boat was delivered to our dealer I flew down to Tampa for a factory tour and noted that all other recently completed 400's awaiting transport had the same problem. Catalina reps didn't seem to have any clue that there was a problem! Kind of makes you wonder if they built the boat around the trash can! Anyone out there with a 400 experience the same problem and if so, did you simply get a smaller trash can (not my favorite option since we obviously want to use as large a container as possible) or did Catalina modify the side opening in some way to allow easier removal of the Rubbermade trash container? Realize this is a very small problem, but I really don't want to let Catalina off the hook on this one! Thanks in advance. Tim Leighton (S/V "MAGIC")

M

Milton

Trash Can

We purchased a 400 MKII last year and the trash can is in the same location as on your boat. The trash can is easily removed if you know the right combination. Move the trash can as far aft as it will go, then pull the left side of the can toward you while distorting the can slightly and it will come out quite easily. These are great boats but Catalina needs to pay more atttention to the small details that make a boat a yacht. I hope you enjoy your 400 as much as we enjoy ours.

T

Tim Leighton

MILTON, DROP ME AN E-MAIL

Milton: Nice to see another 400 on the bay, even if you are at the "wrong" end! Drop me you e-mail if you would. I've got a few other questions about the boat. Tim Leighton (S/V "MAGIC") TIDETIM@AOL.COM

S

Steven Harris

ditto

We do exactly the same thing with the trash can. Another hint, make sure you clear the deck lines next to the two small hatches above the nav station and the galley when you close them. They'll latch and leak if the lines get under the rim of the hatch. The way the lines are laid out they go right beneath the inboard side of each hatch. On the whole, though, it's a great boat if you're a normally sized person (6'6") like me. It's fun to sail and easy to get around in. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.