40 yers ago - August 1979 - The Fastnet Race Disaster changed the Sailing world.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is hard to believe that 40 years have past since the 1979 Fastnet Race. It was the 28th running of the race which has occurred roughly every 2 years since 1925. Of the 303 starters, only 86 finished. There were 194 retirements and 24 abandonments (five of which were "lost believed sunk"). 15 sailors lost their lives.

For those new sailors, this is a race from the Cowes England, out across the Celtic Sea to Fastnet Rock off the tip of Ireland and then back to Plymouth England. 605 nm of Open Ocean.

480px-Celtic_Sea_and_Bay_of_Biscay_bathymetric_map-en.svg.png

149914-c194836e7b57227c4d32f5a9f79926ed.png
1572652509773.png

During the race a Force 10 Gale erupted out of the Northern Atlantic and engulfed the fleet of boats racing across the Celtic Sea.

While the event was tragic in its impact on the lives of sailors, the investigation and reports provide lessons to boat makers and sailors as to what went wrong. It changed the way boats were made and improved ocean safety for sailors who listen to the stories of the survivors.

This current NovDec Cruising World magazine shares stories about the event.

There is an excellent BBC movie about one boat crews experience.

If you have ever wondered, Is my boat ready or am I ready to sail on the open ocean? The reports of the 1979 Fastnet should (in my opinion) be mandatory reading.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I am sure there were many books written about the race. I seem to recall reading one and it sent shivers up and down my spine. That must of been a harrowing experience. Talk about PTSD and having a phobia of sailboats.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
It is hard to believe that 40 years have past since the 1979 Fastnet Race. It was the 28th running of the race which has occurred roughly every 2 years since 1925. Of the 303 starters, only 86 finished. There were 194 retirements and 24 abandonments (five of which were "lost believed sunk"). 15 sailors lost their lives.

For those new sailors, this is a race from the Cowes England, out across the Celtic Sea to Fastnet Rock off the tip of Ireland and then back to Plymouth England. 605 nm of Open Ocean.

View attachment 171554
View attachment 171553 View attachment 171550

During the race a Force 10 Gale erupted out of the Northern Atlantic and engulfed the fleet of boats racing across the Celtic Sea.

While the event was tragic in its impact on the lives of sailors, the investigation and reports provide lessons to boat makers and sailors as to what went wrong. It changed the way boats were made and improved ocean safety for sailors who listen to the stories of the survivors.

This current NovDec Cruising World magazine shares stories about the event.

There is an excellent BBC movie about one boat crews experience.

If you have ever wondered, Is my boat ready or am I ready to sail on the open ocean? The reports of the 1979 Fastnet should (in my opinion) be mandatory reading.
I remember the oh so quotable Ted Turner who sailed the race in his TENACIOUS (big boat I seem to remember around 60 ft) with a semi professional crew. "...at the height of the storm, we were serving a steak dinner down below....". Ted's way of saying that it is all about a well handled, well founded boat. Unfortunately, there were many boats in the race which were neither.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Read "Fastnet Force 10". Fast and uncomfortable read. If I recall correctly, Turner was largley ahead of the storm. Also, I talked to a guy on an Italian boat who is haunted to this day hearing cries for help on the VHF from a boat behind them. The skipper would not turn around, saying to do so in those conditions would be suicide and he would not risk his crew. he said in retrospect, he was probably right, but it still hangs over him.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The skipper would not turn around, saying to do so in those conditions would be suicide and he would not risk his crew. he said in retrospect, he was probably right, but it still hangs over him.
We, in our little boats, get excited and nervous turning around in a breeze or current in a fairway trying to get to a slip. We see pictures of race boats 2 feet or less apart going flat out and we shudder at the thought.

It is beyond my experience, but it broods in my thoughts, taking a 35ft boat with 60foot waves washing over the boat in seemingly all directions blown by Gale Force winds and doing anything but trying to survive.

Then to know others are in the water struggling and not being able to help. I feel for the guy. I am happy I have not been placed in such a situation. I hope in time he can rid himself of these demons and take solace in the knowledge that he protected his crew and brought his boat home from a terrible experience.

It is the reason I take weather, navigation, and seamanship so seriously. Some might say obsessive. Well ok I'll own that. There are seaman on this site who have been aboard big ships in weather. Some of us have been in planes above such weather.

If we choose to go down to the sea, as John Masefield shares in his poem Sea Fever, then do it with eyes wide open and a zest for life.

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Hard to believe it was now 40 years ago. I remember it happening as if it was just a couple years back. The lessons learned should be embedded in our sailing habits. Thanks for posting the video, it was great to watch.

dj

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Ive heard of that but didnt know what it was. Fastnet sounds like some modern tech term. Ill be watching that vid tonight and reading up on this.

Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Heriot Bay BC
How things have changed since then! Now ,weather satellites would have tracked that storm from it's birth place, giving its position , speed, wave height, wind strength , etc. etc, to anyone with a weatherfax, which would have been many of the boats in the race, along with the mother ship. Satellite phones are another safty factor.
Many would have streamed a series drogue, gale rider, etc, off the stern quarter , or retired into Falmouth, or headed for the Bristol channel . The start may have been delayed, with such a weather forecast. GPS would have given very accurate positions, including that of those seeking rescue.
Sadly , what has not changed , are flimsy drop board arrangements for the main hatch, which have long gone the way of the dodo bird , in round the world racers. I recently read of one being stove in by a boarding wave, sinking the boat quickly .
Shallow excessive beam hulls, with flush decks giving a low AVS of around 120 degrees, a main cause of boats remaining capsized for long periods of time , are still in style, possibly even more common than then!
Cruisers would have bailed out early, streaming drogues off the stern quarter early , then stayed in their bunks, or heading for port, showing far better seamanship than racers . Sadly, few racers have anything strong enough to attach a drogue to.
On my bunks, I use what I call a security blanket, in storms. It is a piece of heavy canvas, with webing sewn in longitudinally ,attached to 4 corner strong points, tight longitudinally but loose athwartships, giving no discomfort . In my bunk, I can take a 360 degree rollover , without leaving my bunk and the posibility of serious injury from falling . A halyard snap shackle at my shoulder makes it easy to get out in a hurry.
Often , the boat can take far more than the occupants can.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Cruisers would have bailed out early, streaming drogues off the stern quarter early , then stayed in their bunks, or heading for port, showing far better seamanship than racers .
But isn't it the nature of racing to take risks? Do you think Formula 1 racers on the track take more risks than you would on the highway? Knowing that you may be placing yourself in a dangerous situation, and properly preparing for that, are part of racing. As far as that goes, I think very few cruisers could meet the ORC Category 1 equipment requirements.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
number 1 cause of injuries: burns from dumped wet batteries of the day.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
orc category 1is a good standard for anyone going offshore. is required for the mac races here on the lakes. hence, i comply

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Standards are important to have for an organized event, such as ocean racing. The real dangerous part about it, is the idea that the standards, once met, are all you need. Every ocean sail, #€LL, every sail, should include thoughtful consideration of the vessel, the equipment, the environment and the knowledge levels, by each and every participant individually.
Don't stop thinking just because you've met the regulations, requirements or standards of the event.

-Will (Dragonfly)