40 or a 42...pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy

The wife and I have been looking for somewhere to spend a bunch of money.. Bout the truth isnt it... anyway we were set on the 405 in the mid 1980s because of its layout .. but I happened to stumble onto a picture of the inside of a first 42.. wow ... the same boat with a pullman berth.. I know a few people that have owned a 405 but am new to the 42 and was wondering if anyone had any info on this boat.... is the berth and head the only difference?

S

Steve Fredrick

First 42

My wife and I looked at the First 38, the 405, and lastly, the First 42. We bought the 42 and are thrilled with the decision. The First 42 was designed to win the Admiral's Cup, and that she did in her introductory year. She is a dream to sail. I spoke to a delivery skipper in the Caribbean who told me the First 42 was the finest boat he had ever sailed; I spoke to a former America's Cup sailor who told me the same thing. Then I spoke to one of the guys in Charleston who told me the 42 was the best boat Beneteau ever built. I was sold, and so was my wife. We are thrilled with our boat. The boat is rock solid, dependable, and sails like a sports car. She is almost totally quite down below even with when the wind is howling outside. The ride through heavy seas is unbelievably smooth, although she will pound occasionally in a short steep chop when pressed hard on the wind. Please feel free to email me off list if you want to know any more. Steve Fredrick

Status
Not open for further replies.