40 or 50 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skivob

I am purchasing a 2004 26m. My co-helmspearson wants a 40 hp. I am not sure if I need a 50 hp. Will be using it on Cave Run Lake & Lake Cumberland. May take it to the Keys after we gain some sailing experience.

Jun 9, 2004
- - Brisbane, CA
40 vs 50HP

I sail in SF Bay and use a 40HP Evenrude. Routine to cruise under power at 15 knots with balast. More than enough for me. PJL

S

Steven

`nother Ky Mac user

Hey, maybe I'll see you on the lakes next year! I'm at Capt.'s Quarters in Louisville this season, but next year I thought I'd try trailerin' to some lakes. We should get together. email me at sylnsteven@aol.com and if you're into it, come on up and sail with me on the Ohio (still two months left) and we'll have a great dinner/sail. As for 40 vs. 50, I have a Mercury 50 horse four stroke..it's quiet and a real powerhouse..I'd advise going for the max..meaning the 50 horse. I've heard of larger motors used on them, but if you want to stay within the manufacturer's recommendations..might as well go for the gusto.

B

Bobby T.

90hp Nissan/Tohatsu

Most Mac dealers are suggesting the 4 stroke Suzuki 70hp for the new 26M. The Suzuki 70 weighs 335# (vs. a Suzuki 50hp @ 250#). Meanwhile, the new generation Nissan/Tohatsu 2 strokes burn cleaner than ever, meet 2006 environmental standards, and are (in most cases) more fuel efficient than competitive 4 strokes. And, they are much, much lighter & faster. The new Nissan/Tohatsu 90hp weighs only 315# (compared to the Suzuki 90 @ 416#). Check it out. If you are buying a Mac for what it truly is...a powersailer, go with the extra horsepower. You will be happier. http://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/90tldi.html

P

Phil Smith

More hp/a little centreboard

I have 40hp 2-stroke Yamaha that is starting to play up and I'm considering 'going large' for just an extra $3000 or so! I have heard that the manufacturers recommend max 50hp and the only 2 reasons I have heard are: 1. 50 hp is the max weight you can reasonably take off and lug around. 2. 50 hp is the biggest you can hand start if the battery fails. Seems there are people out there with some pretty big sticks on the back. Are there any handling considerations when powering with the bigger engines? Also, the guy I bought it off suggested lowering the centreboard a very short way to about 25 degree to give some lateral stability when motoring. Any views anyone? Much obliged Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.