40' legend Blue water sailing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie

Just wondering if anyone has any input about the blue water cruising capabilities of the 40' legend (mid 80's)

R

Rick Sylvester

See the recent related thread below

http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?fno=3&uid=F&SKU=2005026170839.33 What do you mean by bluewater? What routes? How far? Are you going around the world? To the Caribbean? Southern Ocean? How much crew will you need? What systems and installations do you consider essential? What do YOU need to go where you want? Without MUCH more info nobody will be able to give you a meaningful reply.

Mar 1, 2004
Catalina 387 Cedar Mills-Lake Texhoma
Everybody has a different definition of Blue Water

I sail out of the Marina where the Valiant factory is located. These are true blue water boats. The fiberglass is thick and because of this, the boats are heavy. But they can go through major storms and not break up. They have been rolled and came back up and keep going. Could the Hunter 40 do that. Probably not. But then you could stay out of situations that could lead to that. I wouldn't go around the world in a Hunter, but sailing close to land shouldn't be a problem. Just don't get caught in a major storm at sea.

Jan 26, 2005
Maxim Voyage 380 Currently: Sailing the Caribbean
Reasonable can Change

Some of the offshore things you hope to avoid can come upon you anyway. We sailed part of the thorny path to the ABCs and found 10-12 swells that were not rough or forecasted, but they happened. You and your boat need to sure that you are ready for most of the possiblities. We are a catamaran and generally outrun and dodge weather if caught out. Mostly we just stay put until we get our window. On the bright side. Since we have cruiser in the Caribe we have met few Hunter and Catalina owners who have sailed from the US to Bonaire and Venezuela

L

Les Blackwell

Mostly for Jim and Jamie

I owned a Hunter Legend 40 for about five years and sail it all around the Pacific Northwest. We also chartered it. It was a good boat overall, a rather good sailing boat compared to others. There was a lot of good things we liked about the boat and a few we didn't like. Basically for my wife and I, it was too big a boat. It did not fit our comfort level. But I disagree with you Jim that it is not a blue water boat. First you have to operationally define blue water boat. I am a licensed CG skipper (100 tons from here to Alaska) and have sailed many boats. A year or so agao I sailed the Fast Passage 39 (Garden design) whom many describe as a blue water boat. For me (important point) I would not take that boat off shore because it is too heavy and much of the work needs to be done on deck. Bob Perry worked as a youngster on that boat for Garden. His Valiant 40 is a much improved version of the Fast Passage 39. Lighter boat and less forefoot although today it is considered a heavy boat. Interestingly enough the Valiants were also built in my town of Bellingham. But if you look at Bob Perry's recent cruising boats like the Saga series, they are all much lighter in weight. Construction methods have changed considerably in the past fifty years and fibreglass is much stronger than we thought. By the way JIm, bring me up to date on the number of boats (regardless of builder) that have broken up in a storm. Alot of gear failure but I can't remember a boat breaking up since an early America's Cup race. In the cases that I have read, it is the sailer rather than the boat that gives up. I'm concerned about "tradition" dictating what we sail. I'd rather write this on my G5 iMac and not on my Osbone 1. Given those introductory comments, I would not take a Hunter 40 offshore for a different reason. There are no useful sea berths. Yes, you could use canvas cloths for the aft bunk--might work however, there are many other boats on the market that might do better for sleeping. One of my best friends has a Valiant 40--he was a chief engineer when they were built here in Bellingham. But as he as observed the construction of my present Hunter (380) he has been impressed. My favorite "Blue Water Boat" is the Hunter Child 50. It weighs less than my present boat. Interestin thread. Les

Mar 1, 2004
Catalina 387 Cedar Mills-Lake Texhoma
For Les

As I recall, the Hunter 40.5 has twin lockers on the swim platform. The lids are not sealed and only held closed by a small rope. These lockers drain directly into the bilge. Any breaking wave from the aft direction can flood the boat. Not what I consider a desireable trait for a blue water boat.

D

Don

Jim

I have a 40.5 and can assure you that is not the case. The two stern lockers have rubber seals, are held in place by hefty locking mechanisms, don't have drains and are always dry. I, on the other hand, am not a blue water sailor. Don Illusion

L

Les Blackwell

Jim, you're correct!

Yes, the Hunter 40.5 did have those stern lockers and probably did have the rope locking systems. But the Hunter 40 Legend that I had had a very large transom. It was one of those things that we didn't like about that boat. It was difficult to climb aboard from the dinghy. But it had tremendous storage behind the aft bunk.

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
It's a shame!!!

It's a shame that every year about this time that people who don't even own a boat or who have NO idea what kind of boat they need/want get on this site and stir people up! Hunters are VERY well built boats that will take people a LOT farther than they themselves are ready to go, yet we sit here and try to educate them and defend our boats. I, for one am sick of it. Maybe I need to just ignore these idiots.

Jan 2, 2005
Jamie and "Gman"

Maybe you two should crew together, since you write the same way, and come up with some advice for all of us about what we should spend our money on. Otherwise, go back to the CWBB and get a life!!!

J

jamie

"honeyman"

I'm sorry, I must have insulted you in some obscure way. If you read my post I merely questioned if a hunter 40 was a good blue water boat. You in your ignorance decided to randomly lash out. I'd appreciate you keeping your pathetic comments to yourself next time..

May 17, 2004
- - Long Beach
Stern Lockers on the 40.5

Jim, Just to confirm Don's comments re the 40.5 stern lockers, I bought mine new in 1993 (first model year) and they came from the factory as Don explained with rubber seals and mechanical locking devices, not a rope locking system as Les described. I live onboard and think the boat is a great coastal cruiser, with proper planning & equiped correctly, I think it could cruise offshore. Weather planning would be a definite prerequisite for any passage no matter if it's a short weekend hop or month long excursion. Kevin sv "Knotty Lady"

Jan 2, 2005
Hey Jamie

Why don't you read "Trekka, Round the World" and decide if your pathetic comments and questions even merit our attention!!! How about 20ft. of boat instead of 40ft.?

Status
Not open for further replies.