$40 experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Fearing the sun at the mooring during an extended time relaxing at the mooring this fourth I had picked up a 6 x 10 HD cloth painters tarp for $40. This was based on the fact that I wouldn't need it all that often and that I was a bit unsure of the dimensions I would ultimately need....but I wanted something.

I deployed the tarp over the boom with the ten foot distance across the cockpit. I secured the tarp to the lifelines using tarp clamps tied to some small line tied to the grommets on the tarp (spaced every two feet). Initially the heavy duty tan waterproof tarp stank of waterproofing chemicals, but that smell rapidly burned off in the sun. The ten foot width proved perfect and the six foot length fit from the end of my boom to my lazy jacks. It provided some sun relief, but it was imperfect as it was too short. It left about two feet of the cockpit exposed to the sun at each end and the sun was shining in the ends. The limited releif by this makeshift boom tent was much appreciated by all though, and significant modifications would need to be made to a larger tarp to deal with the rigging.

Sorry no photos!

BobM

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Ditto, we did the same!!

Bob, we made the same type tarp a couple years ago, putting grommets in and using bungee cords to stanchions etc... We got a pretty big one, and it works well, but I am in the planning stages of a bigger one with longer lengths on the sides, with velcro to hold the port and starboard sides up when we want, and let it down when the sun is intense. It has been a wonderful help for a very very small investment and you know, as we approached our boat after breakfast the other day I was struck with how professional it looks (don’t look TOO close!)
I too wish I had pictures but if anyone wants details, they can ask as I am going to draw this one out first. BTW, we did NO sewing and it was done on the boat! Cost for ours was about $25-30. One warning, don’t put it away wet, it will mildew.:)

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Just a thought; why not 2, 6 X 10 tarps long side on the boom but on each side of the boom rather then over it? Since it's too busy with sail cover, ties, jacks, and what-not it seems to be somewhat logical to try that way unless it rains...

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Heck of an idea Denise. Then it will just be an $80 experiment!

Status
Not open for further replies.