40.5 Anchor Windlass

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995 - 40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, NB, Canada
Looking for the make and model of a horizontal anchor windlass installed on other members 1995 - 40.5
Any and all help would be appreciated, getting to old to haul that chain and rode back to the locker.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can’t recall model but we had a Simpson Lawrence (sp -my spell checker is stubborn). Note these boats are 20+ years old so many don’t have the OEM winch.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
We bought our h40.5 new in 1998. I asked what windlass fit correctly and was told that a Simpson Lawrence Anchorman 1000 was the normal factory install. SL was bought by Lewmar and the Anchorman model may have an equivalent. I would think that many horizontal models would fit as long as the mounting direction was the same. I can send pictures from my computer if you wish.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995 - 40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, NB, Canada
Rich I’d appreciate seeing the pictures.

Thanks

Aug 6, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico
We have had our 40.5 for 10 years now and it has a Maxwell 1500VW, mounted horizontally. I would guess not original but not sure. Works well. We use it with a Lewmar remote fob, 250' of 3/8 HT and a 65lb Mantus. Works very well for us, but do need to manually pile the chain when bringing it in. If the chain is not moved forward, when running out it tends to hop off the chain wheel and that's no fun...

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rich I’d appreciate seeing the pictures.

Thanks
Here are a few pictures that may help you. I thought I had a template that located the windlass mounting bolts relative to the edges of the anchor locker but I can't find one. However if you remove the 5 screws that hold the fiberglass panel in the overhead of the vee berth you can see the reinforced area through the fiberglass where the windlass should be mounted. The overhead panel is also caulked in place so if has never been removed you will need to cut the caulking as well as removing the 5 screws. Replacing it is easier if you have a second person to hold it in place while you drive in the screws. I never replaced the caulking since I have a reason to get in there every couple of years.

I have had a lot of problems with the original motor and replacement motors that I obtained from the UK for this windlass, so even if you could get this particular windlass I can't recommend it. They gypsy that engages the chain must be sized for your particular type of chain- I use 5/16" G4 made by Acco. The gypsy also has a gripping channel that will haul up 9/16" 3-strand line. I used line and chain originally but quickly changed to all chain because I had problems with the line becoming loose in the gypsy when not under tension. The chain is a positive drive engagement. I also use an optional hand control rather than the foot buttons. I thought that it might be too hard to operate the foot buttons on a pitching deck.

Edited: On my 1997 model I found that the Hunter factory had run 2/0 wires from the engine compartment to the bow for windlass power. At $6-7 per foot that saved me a bunch of money. I did extend the wiring to the stern cockpit lazarettes so that I could use my house batteries instead of the starting battery for the windlass. If you wire your windlass like that make sure to take one of the wires off the engine ground so that you can reverse the polarity on the windlass motor.

2001_0506_121130AA.JPG2015_0829_152822.JPG2015_0829_152806.JPG2001_0408_083458AA.JPG

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks Rich, these pix will go a long ways in helping me find a windlass.