3rd Battery Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2007
Catalina 30 Rock Creek Chesapeake Bay
I would like to install a 3rd battery on my 1989 Cat 30. I will use it as the engine starting battery and use the other two as house batteries. I would appreciate any advice on a good location and any other installation tips. Thanks

R

Russ

3rd batttery

I have a 89 Catalina and the PO installed a 3rd battery next to the fuel tank

G

Ghislain Gaumond

Here's what we did...

Had a leak in the old fiberglass muffler, which needed fixing, opted to replace it with a newer more efficient Vetus muffler, which also takes a 1/4 of the space of the old model. This gave me more space in engine compartiment to add a third battery. I dedicated this one for engine cranking only. Installed a battery isolator for charging from alternator all batteries. Below nav station, I used two batteries for house usage only, wired in series given me 280AH of reserve, which is plentiful when not running any refrigeration. I have had this set-up for three years now and find great...I never worried about engine starting or having enough power for lights, instruments etc.... Hope this help... GG Emilie-Jolie C30TRBS, #4708

Jun 10, 2006
Catalina 30 Boston MA
My set-up

In my Catalina I placed a third battery on the top shelve above the to house batteries in the Nav. station. This kept the length of in wire I had to by down. Works great. I have a starting battery connected to switch "1" and the house battery connected to switch “2". I ran a new charging cable from the alternator directly to the house banks and left the original on connected as is to the battery switch. In this case you will need to by an echo charge to connect between the house and starting battery. This unit will trickle charge your starting battery. This set-up keeps you able to use all 3 batteries to start the engine in worst case scenarios. Let me know if you need any other help. I just finished the job this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.