3GM30F Fuel Leak at Injector Pump

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I recently noticed a fuel leak and traced it down with the use of colored tissue papers to the High Pressure Pipes that lead from the Fuel Injector Pump to the Fuel Injector Nozzle. I tightened the Delivery Valve Holder (see picture), which was a bit loose, and this seemed to stem the flow. However after looking at the Service Manual, I noticed that these are supposed to be tightened to a specific torque. My question is, can I replace just the Delivery Valve Spring holder and the 0-ring or do I need to replace all the elements that make up the entire mechanism (not exactly sure what it is called). Has anyone attempted this before? Thanks! -Jon

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Jon, after looking and reading, I think that the holder and O-ring can be replaced on the injection pump assembly because they are not matched or lapped to anything else. It may be that your o-ring has degraded and that is what was drooling.. did you have to tighten the delivery pipe nut as well? It may be that replacing the o-ring is all that is necessary if the delivery pipe is not leaking..

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thanks as always for sharing your knowledge Claude... I just spoke with a local Yanmar dealer parts manager and he seemed to confirm what you were thinking, so I ordered 3 O-rings. He did mention that when you unscrew them they can be like a jack-in-the-box due to the spring. He said that their mechanic said that to keep pressure on assembly once it becomes loose until it is just over 1/4" above the threaded hole at which point the spring should be unloaded. He also mentioned to ensure that nothing was stuck in the valve holder. This weekend I may try to replace them. I actually tightened both. Since I'll need to remove one of the cooling tubes, to access all 3, I'll be replacing then coolant also.

-Jon

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Thanks as always for sharing your knowledge Claude... I just spoke with a local Yanmar dealer parts manager and he seemed to confirm what you were thinking, so I ordered 3 O-rings. He did mention that when you unscrew them they can be like a jack-in-the-box due to the spring. He said that their mechanic said that to keep pressure on assembly once it becomes loose until it is just over 1/4" above the threaded hole at which point the spring should be unloaded. He also mentioned to ensure that nothing was stuck in the valve holder. This weekend I may try to replace them. I actually tightened both. Since I'll need to remove one of the cooling tubes, to access all 3, I'll be replacing then coolant also.

-Jon
Jon,
I believe that 'O-Ring' should actually be a copper crush washer. I had the same problem on my previous boat (same engine as yours) and replacing the washer solved the problem. Took a few minutes and no jack in the box surprises. Good luck...

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thanks Solstice for easing the Jack-in-the-Box springing anxiety! Glad to hear from someone who has done it.... I order the parts from the Yanmar dealer so hopefully they are the correct ones.. I'll post when I receive them to share the knowledge.