3GM oil filters other than Yanmar

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gene

Does anyone have the numbers for oil filters OTHER than Yanmar for the 3GM30f ?? such as NAPA, FRAM, etc.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Why?

Gene: Why would you want to use an aftermarket filter? We just had this discussion last week. Someone said they sell Yanmar filters for $5.99. I found the Yanmar filters for $7.49. Do you think that the aftermarket filters are better quality? If not, were is the savings on something that only needs to be changed once a year!

Jul 5, 2004
Hunter 426DS Winthrop Harbor, IL
Fram

I am not sure what the number is, but at West Marine they sell Fram filters that are made for the Yanmar. They are probably all made by the same manufacturer these days anyway.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Steve, you're guessing! That's not true.

Look at the discussion we had last week among others. Fram's the worst.

C

Charles

How about an answer

Fram numbers are PH3593 for the small and PH3429 for the large filter. I've been using Fram for years and changing my oil every 50 hours but after reading the previous discussion beleive I am going to Yanmar. Charles S/V Destiny

Dec 23, 2003
Hunter H31 83-87 Captain's Cove Bridgeport, CT
Seeing is believing

NAPA Gold line of filter are the best! (made by WIX) Stop in at any NAPA store and see their display of cut away filters. NAPA filters has twice the amount of filter material, cap at both ends with metal, Fram has cardboard ends. NAPA uses a SS spring and check ball for it bypass value, Fram uses a rubber flap. Fram uses a a strip of bent metal to hold the filter material up to its mounting surface, NAPA has a SS spring. No I don't work for NAPA but have been using their products for over 25 years. As for numbers 1064 for oil and 3262 for the fuel filter on the engine.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Patrick - the cost?

Not that it matters much, but what is the cost of the NAPA Gold filter?

Dec 23, 2003
Hunter H31 83-87 Captain's Cove Bridgeport, CT
Price

I pay about $4.00. If you want the WIX #'s they are 51064 for the oil and 33262 for the fuel. You'll pay more for the WIX's. I also go with the 50 hours of use between changes. Thats more than just once a year. Diesel engines are pretty hard on its oil, make sure you get an oil thats rated for diesel.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
and coming

or is that going? On my web site are two pictures and a discussion of my setup. I converted from the small standard 'Yanmar'/'Mazda' size via a remote mount to the 'Ford' filter. It's much larger and easy to change and cleaner to remove. And I can pre-fill it when I install a new one. See pictures #44 and 45. Did I mention cheaper? How about easier to find? P.S. How about lots more capacity? (much larger)

R

Robert

Wix Filter Lookup Site

Part  Part No.  Engine Exceptions Fuel Filter  33262  3GM30-F All  Oil Filter  51064  3GM30-F All

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Don't Do it

Please read the archives. This subject has come up before. The little rubber thing, or hole, you see on the engine side of the filter is a releif valve. Diesel engines produce higher oil presures than autos. If you use an oil filter designed for an auto engine on a diesel it will spend most of the time in bypass. ie no filtering! The Yanmar filters have a higher releif pressure.

R

Rick J

PSI vs. PSID

Well, I'm willing to be educated on this issue; I'm OK with being wrong, having experienced the condition on a daily basis for much of my life... But, I'm not so sure that the oil pressure, per se, makes much of a difference regarding the use of a generic automotive oil filter vs. one from Yanmar. The filter bypass spring in the filter is designed to open based on PSID... the differential in pressure between the outside of the element and the center of the filter. So, I would argue that the overall psi of the oil in the engine wouldn't seem to make much of a difference in terms of bypass of oil at the filter itself. I agree, of course, that the quality of some generic oil filters is marginal. The WIX filter is great; Synlube, et al., have some outstanding, albeit pricey, products. Fram, who I had used for years before getting a little smarter on the subject, might be a little bit questionable, however the higher end of their product list (Extraguard, Toughguard, etc.) are probably fairly competitive. But overall, I'm not convinced that a Yanmar filter is categorically superior based on the PSI of the oil system in a diesel engine vs. that in any other application. Any thoughts are always welcome and appreciated. Hasta luego - RJ

Nov 10, 2004
Hunter Vision-32, Vision 32 Punta Gorda Isles, Fl
Yanmar = $$$

Here in SW Florida, a Yanmar filter costs about $25, while a NAPA Gold one cost me $7.20, and it'sprobably better. And, Yanmar dealers are few and far between, and their stock is very limited. I can't even get something as simple as an injector without going to Tampa.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Gene, sorry to here about your 'parts' problem

Back in the mid 90s, I crossed the passage from George Town, Bahamas to the Virgin Islands. A norther came up, so we rode it for five days. We kept the engine running most of the time to power stuff. Well, the elbow died. Smoked up the whole boat. I patched up the leak at sea with Marinetex but it still smoked a little. The whole inside of the boat had a black film of goo on it. Anyway, we pulled into St. Johns and cleared customs. Then went across the channel to Red Hook, anchored and launched the dingy. I motored to the dock at the marina. I pulled up to a shack on the dock. A guy was standing in front of it. One of the signs on the shack said "Yanmar". I neared the dock and said "I need an exhaust elbow for a Yanmar 3GM30F." I hadn't even stopped the dingy yet. He turned behind him and reached for a box, removed it from a shelf and held it out to me. He then said "$85.00". I said "sold". He then took my line and I tied up the dingy and paid him. Again, sorry about your 'parts' problem.

E

Ed Ruiz

Read the archieves

Someone posted a way to get Yanmar filters for about $5 to $6 each, plus shipping and handling. Aomeone else posted the test results of many different oil filters. Bottom line, Yanmar filters are best for a Yanmar engine, and they don't cost any more than other filters. Lastly, the pressure relief valve in an oil filter can open due to primary pressure, not just differential pressure. ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

Status
Not open for further replies.