37C mast base

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
What is the base made of? Ustepped the mast recently on my 1982 37C. After removing the step and base plate I discovered the top of the actual base in the bilge had large depressions and the base plate did not sit flush on top of it. I intend on completely replacing it. In fact I have already removed it. I chipped it out with a chisel. I'm glad I did because it also had moisture inside of it. It appears to be some kind of poured resin, pink-ish in color. Maybe chockfast? Does anyone happen to know for sure or has anyone replaced their base before?

Attachments

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
About 2002 we had to have a repair which involved cutting about 6 inches off the bottom of the mast and installing a raised base to compensate. There are some pictures below. I believe the new base is a standard part available from Rig Rite :

280 Mast Step: K-10438:
Mast Step fastens to deck or keelson with (4) 3/8" bolts in internal adjustment slots to allow for precise positioning. Base size is (maximum) 8 1/8" long x 5 1/4" wide. Cast in 356 Aluminum with black epoxy finish.
K-10438

Attachments

Sep 29, 2016
Johnb thank you. I'm actually referring to the resin wedge under the foot. What the aluminum plate is sitting on and bolted to using the 2 keel bolts.

Sep 29, 2016
For those who may be interested, I believe the resin wedge under the mast base (used to level the base on the slanted bilge floor) is poly resin thickened with vermiculite. I ran across a few old articles on Google that brought me to that conclusion.