37c Furling

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Corcoran

Installing a Harken III, 1.5 furling system this week to the forestay. Sail single-handed most of the time in the San Francisco Bay area. Dropped staysail from rigging. What size sail should I fit to the new furling system? How will the boat perform upwind? Someone out there must have tried this!

E

Ed Schenck

No staysail!

Hi Mike, I'm really new to the H37C but everything I have read, been told, and experienced suggests "why?". Why does Island Packet only build cutters? So my assumption is that you won't hear from anyone who has done this. But I'll watch this post closely.

G

G. Webster

Staysail idea!

You will probably find you will not get as much speed in some conditions without the staysail. What we did was remove the boom and had roller furling put on the staysail. Works great and boat is easy to sail. PLUS it is a pleasure to pass everything on the lake on those windy days. Cheers!

J

Jim Flowers

Reconsider?

You might want to reconsider the idea of dropping the staysail from your inventory. The balance of the sail plan including the mast height and the location of the center of effort is based upon it. You might wind up with a lot of helm and poor performance if you just compensate for the area. Look for Tony Marcaj' book if you want to read about it. The balance of sail and hull in heavy weather is one of the 37C's most endearing qualities. If single-handing in the bay winds is your goal, there isn't much better in a blow with club footed staysail and reefed main where you can tack back and forth with just the wheel. Who was it that said two heads'ls are better than one?

A

ALAN

37 CUTTER FURLING

I AM INTERESTED IN INSTALLING A FURLER ON MY STAYSAIL. DID YOU LEAVE THE CLUB FOOT BOOM ON OR ELIMIINATE IT? WHOSE FURLER ID YOU USE OR WOULD YOU CHANGE TO ANOTHER ONE IN THE FUTURE. IF YOU ELIMINATED THE BOOM IS THE SHEET ATTACHED TO THE TRAVELER SHEAVE? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

Status
Not open for further replies.