37c bimini installations

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Walt G.

I'd appreciate info from 37c ownwers who have biminis installed. I'm planning to fabridate and install one on mine, and would appreciate knowing how your installations work out. Any info on how and where it's fastened to the boat, approx height above deck, length/width of canvas, etc. the would be appreciated. On my 37c, the mast is about 6.5 feet off the deck at the helm, so it looks as if I'll either have an iterference problem with the boom if the bimini goes too high and too far forward, or I'll have a headroom problem. Would be interested in your solution to this. Also, I've noticed some 37c photos where the dodgers appear much higher than mine could possibly be. Did the 37c's perhaps come with different (higher) boom heights (mine is a 79). Thanks. Capt Walt.

E

Ed Schenck

Check "The Boats" forum.

Hi Walt, In "The Boats" forum click on List All and then look at a lot of the H37Cs. There is one dated January 2001 with my name on it that gives you some idea. Mine is also a 1979. The bimini is folded against the backstay but you can see that the frame mounts on the toe rail, behind the winch far enough that there is no interference. Only dropped one tap over the side. I made that bimini from a Sailrite kit and slotted it so the aft frame is behind the backstay. Unfolded it goes back about 18 inches. The forward frame goes under the boom. It has to be helped under but plenty of clearance when main is up. The mid-bow stays against the backstay. The fore-aft dimension is about 60 inches and the width about 84 as I recall. I am 6'1" and one son-in-law is 6'4", I have no problem but he has to stoop a bit to go under forward bow. Plenty of height at the helm. Since I am on fresh water I opted for aluminum but probably should have bought stainless.

G

Gene Gruender

What I've learned

My bimini was on the boat when bought her, so I've lived with it. However, it interferes with the winch handles. Make sure yous will clear them, and make sure there is enough room for your knuckles, too! I've raised the boom on mine about 8" to give more clearance. You can just put the bottom holes in the boom mount in the top holes in the mast, then drill and tap new holes for the rest. Make sure there is enough room at the top of your sail that it can be raised that much higher.

E

Ed Kennedy

h37c bimini

The bimini on my 37c is a bit narrower than Ed Schenck's. It is mounted on the raised coamings. While this makes the frames closer to the winch handle, I like the fact that I can walk on the aft deck easily between the bimini and the lifeline to install or remove the sail cover, or tie in a reef with the bimini up.

W

Walt G

Thanks

for the info on installing biminis on the 37c. I found a frame at a consignment shop for a reasonable price that's 6.5 feet wide, which is just wide enought to fit on the coaming behind the winches. Looks as if it might be a good fit. I might even try raising the boom that additional 8 inches. FYI, I'm also planning the low-cost approach with a simple awning 5.5 ft long by 7 ft wide, to be attached with horizontal poles at the forward/aft end, held up by the rear stay in the back and the two running backstays forward, and tied down to the toerail. This should cover the cockpit adequately; it will extend forward from the backstay to just behind the boom bail (I've got a cockpit mounted traveler). I figure I'll be able to angle the port/stb sides of the awning up and down while at anchor if needed to further block the sun, and might even be able to use it while underway. Since it should cost next to nothing, it's worth a try. Thanks, once again, for your helpful info.

E

Ed Schenck

Another awning approach.

Walt, I made a sunbrella cover that doubles as an awning or a boat cover(for when I leave her for a week or more). It's about 10' x 10' and has a long zipper in the middle of the aft end. As an awning I lay it over the boom. The zipper slot lets me go back past the topping lift all the way to the backstay. The sides clip onto the top lifeline if a nice day or to the toerail for more rain protection. I use cords, the ones with a black ball on one end and an adjustable hook. As a cover I just lay it on the cabin and the zipper lets it come back beyond the mainsheet which protects my companionway, instruments, and engine panel. Now I can leave a port or two open if I need the ventilation. No tubing to mess with and folds up to about 2'x2'x6".

Status
Not open for further replies.