376 Courtesy light/ cockpit lighting

billmc

Jul 5, 2024
Hunter 376 Somers Point
We have a 376 which we have had for a yr. Looking to make some improvements to cockpit lighting and noticed the courtesy light at the base of the helm, but can't seem to find the switch to turn it on? Also any suggestions for improving the cockpit lighting

Any help is appreciated

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have a 1997 h40.5 which is a close sister-ship to your 376. My original instrument pod on the forward stainless binnacle had a light on the underside that illuminated the top of the console table. The switch to operate that light was in the top of the small compartment in the front of the console. It is really easy to miss. I'm thinking that your switch is in the same place.
Regarding cockpit lighting, I have put a couple round LED lights by the boarding area to help see at night when coming aboard from the dinghy. I can't remember the manufacturer, and I don't have a picture either. But they are one of the major names in marine lighting.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Our 1996 376 has a switch on the crown of the instrument panel. Our external lamp has never worked properly, but I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be the on/off switch for the lamp. That said, the PO did a lot of "custom" projects, so there is also a chance that this was one of his inventions.

I have also thought about updating the cockpit lighting to something fancier (LED strips or something along those lines) but have not dug in enough to formulate a plan

Doug

1000005143.jpg

billmc

Jul 5, 2024
Hunter 376 Somers Point
Thank you both, I will have a look tomorrow to see what I can find. I'd love to think the light works and I can add a couple led button lights on the same circuit similar to what rich mentioned. Many thanks