361 rudder play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2010
Beneteau 331 Collingwood
Advise on the bearing and the prop

FYI - There are threads on this forum about how to replace the cutlass bearing. I did mine from info I got from this site last spring. Do it right and it will take about 1 hour to replace. Where the thread talks about putting it in the freezer first - they mean it. It will make installation easier.

On the folding prop issue. I installed a VariFold prop on my B331 last spring, the results are amazing. It costs a lot but it was so easy to install and the performance is fantastic. You would not be disappointed.

Feb 26, 2007
Beneteau 361 Quebec
Hi james,
Thanks for the info, will search the site. Did the VariFold reduce the prop walk? Did you install a 2 or 3 blade? I have a lot of prop walk and getting out of my slip is tricky.
Thanks
Georges

Jul 28, 2010
Beneteau 331 Collingwood
suttonski said:
Hi james,
Thanks for the info, will search the site. Did the VariFold reduce the prop walk? Did you install a 2 or 3 blade? I have a lot of prop walk and getting out of my slip is tricky.
Thanks
Georges
I installed the 3 blade varifold, the variprofile although slightly cheaper would have been too close to the leading edge of the rudder. The difference is amazing. I have NO prop walk and NO vibration when under sail. I can stop the boat on a dime and at one point this summer I actually parallel parked the boat in a very tight space with many onlookers. I even amazed myself. I am a happy customer. It comes fully assembled, calibrated and tested from the factory. The installation is dead simple. It took longer to get the old prop off. I also replaced my cutlass bearing while I was doing this. Can't recommend it enough. You won't be disappointed. FYI - I back my boat into my slip, again lots of control.

GWG

May 3, 2010
Beneteau 40 LI Sound
regarding the autopilot: although a linear below deck unit would be better, there is no need to go to all that expense. There are various adjustments you can make to the autopilogt settings (I asume you have raymarine) check out the manual and play around with the settings. you will be able to reduce most of the back and forth

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
FYI - There are threads on this forum about how to replace the cutlass bearing. .
I have searched (just to prepare myself when that magic time comes!) but haven't found any. Where are they? I can only find threads for removing a cutlass bearing from a p bracket, nothing for the beneteau skegs.
Thanks

Jul 28, 2010
Beneteau 331 Collingwood
Do an advanced search on cutlass bearings for Beneteau owners, it's there, I found it tonight again. It was early last May..

It is not a difficult job, just takes time and patience.

Jun 7, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Marmong Cove, Australia
Hi James

Prior to replacing your propeller were you experiencing prop walk, my 361 will turn in reverse nearly 50 deg without moving the wheel. However I have learn't to use it to my advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.