361 or 36mkII

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

franco

I'm shopping for my first sailboat and I've narrowed it down to the Beneteau 361 and the C 36 MKII. The Beneteau is about $20k more money, but I like the consruction and attention to detail. The Catalina looks easier to sail, is bigger below, a lot less money, and I've heard the factory supports the boats well, which beneteau doesn't always do. Or so I've heard. any input on how you like your 36's? How you like working with catalina? which boat I should buy?

R

Rhys Wilkie

Beneteau 361

In the April 2000 issue of Cruising World magazine, the Beneteau 361 is reviewed on page 113. Pay close attention to the section entitled "trade-offs." Also, does the Beneteau have a lead or cast iron keel? Cast iron is less dense than lead (less suitable as ballast) and can become a continuing maintainance problem if it starts to rust and expand. Since this boat is assembled in the USA, they may use lead. With the exception of one warranty problem early on, our 1992 C42 has been virtually trouble free. We are very satisfied with it and would buy another Catalina. Having said that, I must mention that, as a company, Catalina is a little quirky to deal with.

G

Gary Jensen

no contest

No contest! Take the Catalina.. I just sold my 36 after 6 great years. There were people waiting for 36s to go on the market. With $20 more invested in a Beneteau your market narrows when you decide to move up ,down or out of the market!!!!!

B

Bob Robeson

B or C, lets C

I have owned Hunters and Cataina's, Newports and Vitory's among many others. By far the best dealer support I have ever gotten has been on my 1986 Catalina 36. I too looked very carefluly and test sailed a lot of boats, and we found the Caltalina to our liking. The Catalina is a liitle heaver, sails a little nicer, eairer to resell and I fit through the doors. Siince we do many weekend trips and day sails we want a good sailing boat with good living space. Thats the C-36. Bob

M

Michael C. Froelich

Catalina vs: Benneteau

Dear Franco: It seems you are in a situation that I was in a very short time ago. Before I purchased my new Catalina 36 mk II, I looked at everything out there. The Beneteau 361 and the Jeaneau Sun Odyssey 37 were considerations. I find that Catalina gives you a great deal more for your money. It's fun and safe to sail. I cannot comment on how well Catalina backs up it's product because I have not yet had to ask for service. The Catalina 36 is in great demand and it is very difficult to get them. Where I live, there is a several month wait, should you decide to order one. Before purchasing new, I considered buying used. Good Luck! If your lucky enough to find one (a year or two old), you will pay practically as much as for a new one. For me, there was no contest between Catalina and the others.

M

Michael C. Froelich

Catalina vs: Beneteau

Dear Franco: It seems you are in a situation that I was in a very short time ago. Before I purchased my new Catalina 36 mk II, I looked at everything out there. The Beneteau 361 and the Jeaneau Sun Odyssey 37 were considerations. I find that Catalina gives you a great deal more for your money. It's fun and safe to sail. I cannot comment on how well Catalina backs up it's product because I have not yet had to ask for service. The Catalina 36 is in great demand and it is very difficult to get them. Where I live, there is a several month wait, should you decide to order one. Before purchasing new, I considered buying used. Good Luck! If your lucky enough to find one (a year or two old), you will pay practically as much as for a new one. For me, there was no contest between Catalina and the others.

F

Fritz Merizon

Been there...

I purchased a new C36 MkII in 1998. Have sailed many Beneteau's and Catalina's. By far, Catalina is a better value. The C36 is far more livable. I have two small children and spend a great deal of time aboard. Construction is solid, space plentiful, systems easily maintained. I opted for the 5' 10" fin keel for upwind performance. Dealer said it was the nicest sailing Catalina they'd ever commissioned. I haven't regretted my decision for a moment!

D

David Smith

36 MKII Catalina

I also did the same comparisons. I could not find one single person on the internet disatisfied with their Catalina 36 so I bought one. Best decision I made. I ordered in February and took possession in August of 1999. It exceeded expectations and is absolutely great for cruising. The space below is a big plus and is very hard to beat. Lots of room and good speed under sail. With the auto pilot a person can easily single hand it. I think you will like the Catalina, go for it.

C

Capn' Odie

Catalina36/Beneteau

I have researched this issue extensivly over the last few months. Only one conclusion: Catalina (pretty much ANY model comparison). What one reason?? Beneteau's deck to hull fastening. Beneteau uses self-tapping screws, Catalina through-bolts. The mating of the deck to hull is the one thing you may not want to scrimp on in building a boat. Beyond that the C36 has got many other items in its favor including a nice liveable layout. Everyone else has given you other reasons to buy Catalina. Capn' Odie

B

Bernie Halloran

Catalina or Beneteau

Franco, I just went thru the same decision on either a used 320 or 321. I bought the Catalina because I wanted full battens and a laarger main. In-mast roller furling equals slower boat. My two experiences with the factory: ask for help and they help. Need a part, they ship it fast. I got more standard equipment on my Catalina than I would on the Beneteau. I want to cruise fast.

B

Bernie Halloran

Catalina or Beneteau

Franco, I just went thru the same decision on either a used 320 or 321. I bought the Catalina because I wanted full battens and a larger main. In-mast roller furling equals slower boat. My two experiences with the factory: ask for help and they help. Need a part, they ship it fast. I got more standard equipment on my Catalina than I would on the Beneteau. I want to cruise fast.

G

Gary Price

Catalina support

I have a 97 C36 MkII. I had return a winch to Lewmar for service and left many messages at Westerbeke for help with engine overheating. Couldn't get callbacks from either so I sent a letter to Frank Butler at Catalina. Two days later I had calls from both Lewmar and Westerbeke and a letter from Frank. You can't beat that for customer service! My 2nd Catalina and probably not my last.

R

Rich Lemieux

C 36 MKII

Hi Gary Price What sort of problems did you have with your c 36? I also have a 97 36 #1621. I would like to head off any problems it I can. You can e-mail me offline at richlem@aol.com if you would like. Thanks Rich

G

Gary Jensen

Catalina vrs Beneteau

Re-read your posting and see if you answer your own question on which boat to purchase...The Catalina is $20K less, has more room, sails well, and has a good support system from factory....Let me add great resale value...Good luck on a Catalina purchase.......

Status
Not open for further replies.