361 and 367

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

I am looking at the 361 and 367 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these boats. I love the interior of the 361, but I question its performance. The 367 sounds like it performs great, but I wonder if it is uncomfortable cruising. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Mike

K

kevin

for speed 36.7

Mike, I have a 361 which is great for cruising with my wife. There is a 36.7 in the marina and she is built for speed. If you are into racing, there is no choice.

J

John W

361 Vs 367

Mike. We went through the same questions between the two boats and finally decided on the 361. We felt we could race the cruiser(361) but not cruise the racer(367). We have not yet sailed the 361 but her specs suggest a reasonable turn of speed.Sail area/displacement and LWL/displacement. I belive the PHRF rating is in the area of 135 to 144. We plan to do some performance testing next week with a Catalina 36 that has been raced quite successfully and I will come back with some more info.

J

Jose Venegas

361 is not so slow

Mike, I agree with John. Also, when PHRF racing, the rating is a good equalizer and you will presumably be racing in the cruising category, unless you are willing to spend a lot of resources to make your boat competitive in the racing fleet. We have own our 361 since October 2000 and have loved every minute of it. Although so far only cruisingand not formally “racing” she has been able to keep up well with other comparable boats including a Tartan 35 with a better PHRF rating than the 361. This season I will try her in a couple of overnight races but I am not planning on racing her around the marks. I tend to be too competitive and don’t want to expose my investment plus my Admiral gets very nervous when she heels more than 10 degrees. My suggestion if you get a 361, and want to race her, is to get her without the main in-mast furling system that reduces here performance quite a bit. Good luck.

D

Dave Grundstrom

We just bought a new 2002 361. The yacht broker had a 367 also. I agree with the two former responses. The 361 is plenty fast, is very comfy, easy to sail with the in mast furling, and is great for entertaining. If you want to race more than cruise...get the 367. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.