360 degree crack in starboard cockpit seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2012
macgregor 26D NJ
hello all i am pretty net to this site as i just bought my first boat a few months ago it is a mac 26d i noticed that there is a 360 dregree crack in the starboard cockpit bench seat. there is no softspot in the wood it feels like the fibergalss on the bench seat has seperated from the wood in that area maybe 4"x4" circle its a hairline crack all the way around with a little movement in the fiberglass in that area only but not the wood core below it every other inch of the boat feels solid with no issues.
i wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix that small area with out having to cut a whole in the seat and replace the wood below and reglass i hoping for a quick easy fix that is not to much $$$$$

there is a very small amount of water under the fiberglass but it has not effected the core yet if i dry it out could i just inject epoxy in the crack and then epoxy over the crack?

any suggestions or help would be greatly welcomed

thank you all in advance

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
How did you find water under the fiberglass? I mean where were you looking? Where the ladder bolts near the companion way? (Mine was leaking through there.)
NOTE see Butyl tape: http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117172
You will want to read all of the above thread.
My boat has spider cracks all over it. That's not the spots I'm worried about leaking and allowing the core to rot. It's ware the hardware is bolted on. Every nut, bolt, screw, chain plate, and window leak on a MacGregor.
By the end of the first year of owning your Mac you should be able to reliably predict when its going to rain. (I understand Judging how much rain comes in the 2nd year of Mac ownership.) Just judging by the amount of water that has mysteriously accumulated inside the boat before it rains.
You will love the 26D!
Well at least when it stops leaking...
Welcome to the site.

dawg2

Jun 25, 2012
Mac Gregor 26D GA
Tolleys creeping crack cure is what I have been putting in spider cracks. Seems to work pretty good. Make sure it is dried up before you put it in. http://www.captaintolley.com/

I have also been putting it on every bolt, nut, chainplate, etc. Slowly but surely "drying up the boat." 26D's are leaky rascals.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Here is a link to a good YouTube site that shows how to properly fix your boat.
To make you own Creeping Crack Cure mix acrylic bonding agent and water 70/30. You can find the stuff at any big box hardware store beside the cement mix.
It will work for a while.... Not as long as Butyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.