360 anchor light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2007
Macgregor 25 Wilmington
I have a 1982 mac 25 and I do not have a anchor light on the mast. Does anyone know the rules about this?

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
Temporary Anchor Light

I use a Davis Mega Light for an anchor light. I hoist it up on a halyard. It plugs into a 12v outlet and uses very little amperage. You can also use it as a cockpit light. If you anchor out a lot, you'll probably want a masthead mounted light but for occasional use, the Mega Light works fine.

Jun 13, 2004
Macgregor 25 Nevada City, CA
The rule

" The Inland Rules specify that any vessel under 50 meters (164.1') at anchor must exhibit a white 360-degree light where it can be seen and have a two-mile visibility in most situations. Vessels less than 7 meters (23.9') must display anchor lights when anchored in or near a narrow channel, fairway, or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate. A 360-degree white all-around light with two-mile visibility fulfills this requirement. Wire gauge and length of wiring, as well as battery condition, can affect a light's performance. Follow manufacturer's instructions to ensure compliance with U.S. Coast Guard regulations. " from Boat US

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Interesting Indeed

Yes, YY they were interesting, enough so that I bought one last February at the boat show. I have only tried it in the driveway because the weather has not allowed me out sailing yet. It appears to be quite bright and lights up the whole cockpit when mounted on the pedestal crutch. It was rather pricey though, but like you I liked the attachement parts. Last few seasons I hung the garden variety on bungy cords between the shrouds and it could be seen from quite a distance but this new one is brighter. I only anchor in designated anchorages around many others when I do anchor but mostly I enjoy marina visitor docks for the ammenities.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Interesting Indeed

Yes, YY they were interesting, enough so that I bought one last February at the boat show. I have only tried it in the driveway because the weather has not allowed me out sailing yet. It appears to be quite bright and lights up the whole cockpit when mounted on the pedestal crutch. It was rather pricey though, but like you I liked the attachement parts. Last few seasons I hung the garden variety on bungy cords between the shrouds and it could be seen from quite a distance but this new one is brighter. I only anchor in designated anchorages around many others when I do anchor but mostly I enjoy marina visitor docks for the ammenities.

Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
Bob is right

And Davis Industries has a great one that uses next to nothing for power, and it has a photocell . Just hang it from your boom, and go to bed. I think they run about $40-45, but worth every penny. Also if it is hun on the boom, it is closer to the water level, and people can see it. Up on the mast 30+ feet up, people don't readily see it. Good luck

Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
Bob is right

And Davis Industries has a great one that uses next to nothing for power, and it has a photocell . Just hang it from your boom, and go to bed. I think they run about $40-45, but worth every penny. Also if it is hun on the boom, it is closer to the water level, and people can see it. Up on the mast 30+ feet up, people don't readily see it. Good luck

G

Greg

Anchor Light

When at anchor in an anchorage, no light required, but when an anchor light is required CG can be butt heads, the light must have printed right on it that it is USCG APPROVED. Just a warning before they collect any revenue from you.

G

Greg

Anchor Light

When at anchor in an anchorage, no light required, but when an anchor light is required CG can be butt heads, the light must have printed right on it that it is USCG APPROVED. Just a warning before they collect any revenue from you.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Mega Light

I also have the Davis Mega light, very good product. I hang if off the end of boom, and helps light cockpit. seems plenty bright... and has built in photo cel... Besides, what I worry about is fast moving skiffs at night, that aren't looking 30' up, I want a light around eye level, in an anchorage. I've also used the solar lawn lights... not as bright as mega light... but ok!

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Mega Light

I also have the Davis Mega light, very good product. I hang if off the end of boom, and helps light cockpit. seems plenty bright... and has built in photo cel... Besides, what I worry about is fast moving skiffs at night, that aren't looking 30' up, I want a light around eye level, in an anchorage. I've also used the solar lawn lights... not as bright as mega light... but ok!

G

Greg

FMM

For the Fast Moving Morons in the skiffs in an anchorage I just have a kerosine lantern hanging from the boom. It's not USCG approved, it's bright enough. Lights the cockpit nicely. And if one of those FMM's come too close too fast, the lantern only costs $2.00 at Big Lots and can be passed to the FMM's, if they don't catch it it's not my fault.

G

Greg

FMM

For the Fast Moving Morons in the skiffs in an anchorage I just have a kerosine lantern hanging from the boom. It's not USCG approved, it's bright enough. Lights the cockpit nicely. And if one of those FMM's come too close too fast, the lantern only costs $2.00 at Big Lots and can be passed to the FMM's, if they don't catch it it's not my fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.