36 catalina windows

May 2, 2014
catalina 36mk1 tierra verde
Just purchased 1991 Catalina 36. With some research found that the long Plexiglass windows all leak.I've taken them all out. After analyzing the project I thought to look for some input. Has anyone considered plugging all holes that connect the windows to the frame, build a gasket & reseal. My thoughts are, where ever there is hole is a potential for a leak. Just the movement of the hull & flexing will make those holes eventually seep water.Input appreciated.

longgone

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nice boat, congratulations. You should get to know the skippers at the C36IA forum, too, in addition to those here. They have specific knowledge of your boat.

www.c36ia.org, register for free and join their Forum.

Claygr

Feb 10, 2014
Catalina 387 Milwaukee, WI
If you're talking about the screw holes, the screws are there only to hold the window in place while the sealant cures. If you check a newer C36, you will see that Catalina did away with the screws entirely at some point. I don't know if there is much potential for leakage through the screws but I know that some owners have reported cracking of the windows at the screws when the windows flex.

Here is a link to the Catalina instructions for re-bedding the windows:

http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Instructions_for_replacing_large_fixed_side_windows