356 in boom reefing -need options

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
I have previously posted questions on this same subject. However I still need some ideas. My 356 has the ‘in-boom’ reef system. It works very poorly. To a point that we just won’t use it. It seems the lines simply have too many turns through channels (holes) at the goose neck. This causes very high resistance so that when attempting to reef -using a winch-it almost seems like damage will occur. All that said, if any 356 owner is using an alternative reef system I would really appreciate information/photos/diagrams. Jim on Lake MI

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Assuming you are referencing a single-line reefing setup, the one on our P31-2 works quite well for us, but a PO did simplify the arrangement of the lines and that may be a factor in why it operates OK. For a diagram of the revised setup, see 3:30 in

A second issue which has affected that system, is if any fittings have been bolted onto the boom with bolts that protrude inside the boom, say for a lazy jack system. If your setup has a shuttle block inside the boom as in the above diagram, then that block can tend to catch on any protrusions, and become locked up and/or damaged.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t have a Hunter, but I have played around with different reefing setups on my Hunter 280, and now my O’Day 322.

First, I assume you don’t have a “boom furler” , where the sail rolls inside the boom.

I have tried single-line reefing, but like you, found the friction in the system a bit much. I put small blocks at the reefing cringes to help reduce friction, and it did, but not enough. I liked the fact that I could do it all from the cockpit. But I didnt like the reef…too tight (pulled down too far) at the tack and hard to pull down tight at the clew.

My solution today is to use a reefing hook at the mast, and a reef line at the clew. So when I want to reef, I lower the sail to a mark on my halyard, go forward to the mast and hook the reef cringle on a reef hook, then back to the cockpit to raise the sail again and then tighten the reef line to pull the clew down and back tight.

This produces the tightest on my boat.

If I am smart, I will reef before leaving the dock…but even if conditions change, I can reef when sailing solo as long as Mr. Auto Pilot helps steer while I am at the mast (which doesn’t take very long).

Greg