356-Great Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2008
-Hunter -356 -Amelia Island
I own a 2002 356, hull number 197. It is a fabulous boat, great design, and backed by a great company.

Boat has in mast roller furling and even with it, I manage to come in 2nd or 3rd overall in our club racers.

I do have trouble beating the boats with large 150 jibs in the light wind reaching and downwind legs. For some reason I am unable to take advantage of the large main off the wind in light breezes

I run it out against the spreaders and even bag the main, but don't seem to be able to catch my downwind competitors

What suggestions do you have?

By the way, thanks for a great boat

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
CaptainJB,

Sailing downwind without a spinnaker is tricky. If the wind is 6 +/- 2 knots apparent, you need to sail higher jibe angles. You are now in the business of generating speed and concerning less with extra distance. The ingredients for success is to works the puffs. Every time a puff comes, let the boat accelerate then drive the boat lower with speed toward the rhumb lime. As the puff dies and with comes around aft, heat it up and generate apparent wind accelerate and repeat. It helps to have the crew heel the boat in the lulls and flatten her out in the puffs. Gives everyone something to do. It is a rhythm you get going. Also make the gains toward the correct side of the course. Light usually is not so much about boatspeed but windshifts and breeze lines. In wind lighter than that, go low wing and wing toward shifts and wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.