340 - need racing tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Anderson

Although the 340 is great for cruising, it's performance in casual racing is lacking. Any tips on setting the main and jib? What about setting the traveler?

S

Steve Lazerow

Get a professional tuning

After my dealer tightened the rig, the boat points much better. I suggest that you have a sailmaker or dealer come to the boat to check the rigging and go out on a race with you. They should be able to get it to move faster while teaching you a lot.

D

Dakota Jim Russell

340 just beat a C&C 40 last weekend in our regatta

I would agree if you think the 340 is lacking in racing, then it needs tuning badly. I've added a feathering prop and made put full battens in my sail. Although I've adjusted the shrouds and forestay so they are tight!!!, a pro could probably do better. So far I've beaten everything in sight except for the 40 C&C and last weekend I added that to my prizes <grin>. Of course I had quite a few years racing a Hobie 18 back in the early 80s which helped positioning, stealing air, rounding marks, etc., as well as having the same skipper and/or crew (depending on whose talking) for 20 years. But then you probably have, too. Since you asked, the winds were less than 10 mph, had a cruising spinnaker wing on wing with the main as much as possible, as well as knowing that I could beat him in such winds. Attitude wins more races than anything else <grin>. ps: I also check to make sure that the feathering prop is in the vertical (less drag than horizontal) position. Little things mean alot.

D

Dakota Jim Russell

PS - no handicap employed beating the 40 C&C

Forgot to mention that there was no handicap rating system employed beating the 40 C&C. Just tactics, wind that favored the 340 over the 40 C&C and a little help from above. But it was fair and square.

Status
Not open for further replies.