34 MKII Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Wright

I am looking at a 1971 Columbia 34 MKII. I'm new to this brand and would appreciate any comments you might have on the 34. THANKS!

J

John MacFarlane

MK II 34

Mike, I bought one in the spring and am very happy with it. I live onboard year round and find it perfect for one person ( maybe have a goldfish if it is not too big!). The boat sails well, keeps dry decks and has enough space to sail 5 adults in comfort. Probably the best bang for the buck out there.

D

Don McCue

Enjoying Ours

Hi Mike, I have had my 34 for 5 months now. I haven't sailed it yet but I have done alot of upgrading to it. I have redone the 12 volt wiring & have installed 120 volt wiring. I have installed new bilge pumps, with new automatic bilge pump switches and new hoses through out. I have built doors with plexiglas windows to replace the Bin Boards in the companionway. I have installed a new electric stove with 3 burners and an oven. My navigation station was missing (the sliding one) so I built a new one. I made storage drawers under the nav station. Installed hot and cold pressurized water, with new faucets and a shower, that work from city water or the watertanks water. I have done some fiberglass work to the inside bulkheads. I installed water cooled air conditioning. Built a battery charger into the electric panel. etc. etc. I have owned other sailboats in the past. But I find this one to be built to the max in structure and strength. We (my wife, dog and I)live aboard and find that the boat is very comfortable. My wife would like there to be more storage space. She calls them "cubbies" to stow the small articles. We had a Hunter 27 and she says that it even had more storage space. So I am finding ways to make more "cubbies" for her. The engine is in a fair working condition , but I find the transmission is slipping a little. I haven't decided to invest the money to fix it or just change the whole drive system over to a diesel. I still have alot that I want to do before the maiden voyage. But I think we are well on our way to have that sometime this spring. If you have any questions about the boat e-mail me and I will be glad to try to help. I would like you to tell me about your boat. I am always lookin for fresh ideas or just interesting facts.

R

reinhard heirman

34 MKII

Mike, Hello from Michigan I too am looking at a 34 MKII . Did you go and purchase this boat? If so has it turned out to be a good experience for you, and if you don’t mined me asking how much did you have to pay for this boat? What kind of shape and how much work did you have to do to or on it? Thank you for your time. REINHARD HEIRMAN

G

George Boisvert

C-34MKII

Hi Mike, I bought my C-34MKII from a fellow in Rhode Island who used to club race it. It has all of the bennies including large winches for a 160% genny. I charted boats for about 25 years before deciding to buy. I did my homework before deciding on a Columbia. I think it is the best designed/built production boat ever. It is quite fast. I outsail newer, larger boats all the time. "CONDOR" was very well maintained. He is a funiture designer and builder. He teaches woodworking. He added many conveniences to the boat. His wife likes to varnish. Since I have owned the boat I have added a new mahogany table to the salon which swings open on hinges giving access to the seatee. I also widen the longer bench in the salon by 6" to make it into a sleeper. The boat now sleeps 6 without using the seatee table. This Spring I added a hard dodger made of solid teak and laminated mahogany. a built up roof of fiberglass was added. The roof is 6'x12'and covers all of the cockpit.Head clearance is 6'. It is rated to hold 800lbs. great place to sunbathe while at anchor. Also a good place to store the mast for the sailing dinghy, spiniker pole, jib club, boat hook, oars, etc. I shall be adding side curtins at a later date. I had the 160% genoa cut down to fit a roller furler. It is now approx. 160% which is enough for my needs. I am planning to add another smaller head sail on a club foot and make it self tending. Before I talk myself to death; great boat best investment I ever made. Happy sailing, George

Status
Not open for further replies.