34-36 Boat Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete

Hi, I planning to buy a 34 or 36 ft Catalina for next season, new or recent boat, on Lake Erie and will be single-handing often. Any general comments would be valued. I'd appreciate comments on roller furling main vs. lazy jack vs dutchman. Thank you, Pete Smith smithpe@dickinson.edu

M

Mike McPartland

C36 - great boat.

Pete Own 'Gratitude' C36 Mk II '99, definitely go with furling main. I Have it and it's great. You loose a little in performance but gain it in flexibility with the sail infinitely reefable, true cockpit based sail handling. Good luck Mike

B

Bob Robeson

34 or 36

There was one of the greatest debates for the 34/36 on this site just a couple of months ago, check the archives. the results were like 13 to 1. But you need to find it to see which boat was most liked. Good luck Bob C3?

G

Gene Foraker

C36 Available on Lake Erie

I just recieved a mailer from the Catalina dealer in Vermillion. He has a 1986 C36 available AND a new C36 specially priced through the Cedar Point Boat show this weekend. Freeman Eckley in Vermillion, OH - move fast as C36's usaully have a long wait list for new and used ones don't stay around long. I enjoy my 1999 C36. I don't personally like roller furling mains. The decrease in performance and occaisional jamming problems reported as the boat ages don't seem worthwhile.

B

Bob Morrison

Dutchman

Go with the dutchman! I have been using one for 3 years on an Ericson 32 and I love it. I am getting one with the 36 MK II that I ordered this boat show. It is efficient, there is no performance degradation, fewer moving parts to break or jam and it costs less.

Status
Not open for further replies.