336 Running Rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2009
Hunter 336 Watkins Glen
I have a 1995 336. Looking at the main halyard section...it shows 7/16 line but not the length. Anybody have one that has better specs?? The shop I am going to says that 3/8 xls will work just fine. The current lines are stronger. Any thoughts on this as well??
Thanks as always. Jake

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Stronger than what?

Personally I would stick with the 7/16 for halyards. Bigger is usually easier on the hands, but I doubt that you will/would have any issue with 3/8.

Mar 15, 2009
Hunter 336 Watkins Glen
Stronger than the older lines. I was thinking of the comfort on the hands...but we can only pull the dang sail up so far...lots of roach...heeheh..then it hits the winch

Dec 8, 2008
Hunter 27 Deale, MD
Why dont you try the line express section on this site.

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/cordage/detail-rigsimple.htm?requiredfields=bid&next=list&bid=1848

This is the link for your boat that show size and length. THe administrator claims they can beat any price and I am inclined to believe him.

I had the same opinion about size of line and ease on hands. But then I figured for Haylards, you only use them when lowering and raising sails. So you relay won't handle them las much as you handle the sheets.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
The ultimate halyard is very light weight, high strength, very low stretch, and as little turning frition as possible and tactile friendly. Double braid polyester is a poor choice for a halyard because it has a high stretch rate, is heavy and in larger diameters is a high friction line. Choosing a high modulus line with very low stretch and weight characteristics is a far superior alternative.
If your halyard is lead back to the cockpit you can use the mast height X 2.5 for the length. 3/8" XLS Extra would be a much better choice for your halyard. Extra will stretch less as the wind increases removing the need to re-adjust the halyard tension to maintain proper sail shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.