336 Rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2009
Hunter 336 Watkins Glen
I have a 1995 Hunter 336. My rudder post has a bit play where it enters the hull. It only moves side to side...not fore and aft. Strange but true. Any help on what bushings and how difficult it is to drop the rudder out? Not sure they have any great diagrams in the manual. Any thoughts or ideas? Starting to dig out under it in prep for the big event!! Thanks as always.
Jake

G

Rudder

Hi Jake, Don Martin with Hunter Marine Customer Service provided me with the following information about our 1991 P42. I've edited his response a bit for clarity:

The rudder bearings are sleeves that are made from UHMW material. The sleeves do not require any lubricate. There is no adjustment on these bearings. If they develop too much side-to-side play then the bearings would need to be replaced. Anything over 1/8th inch play would be considered outside of tolerance and the bearing would need to be replaced.

In another e-mail to Don I asked him whether it was a matter of dropping the rudder and popping the old bearing out or did it require special tools? He said that after the rudder is removed you should be able to remove the bearings by driving the top bearing out and from the underside of the boat you should be able to insert something like a 1 x 2 up into the rudder tube and there should be a ridge at the bottom of the top bearing, you should be able to get the 1 x 2 on this ridge and drive the bearing up. This would be reverse for the bottom bearing.

If the play is close you can extend the bearing replacement by inserting a section of teflon sheet around the rudder post where it exits the hull. You only need to drop the rudder a few inches in order to insert this teflon shim. I've never tried this before, but a marine surveyor says it does work.

We have different boat models but I think the play allowance should be about the same. Hunter Marine Customer Service can confirm this for you. Hope this helps.

Terry Cox

Mar 15, 2009
Hunter 336 Watkins Glen
Thanks

That would make sense. I really should replace them...there is enough play that I don't want to have to revisit this anytime soon! Did Hunter actually send you the parts?? The last time I ordered something from them...it never showed up! Had to get a local dealer to get them for me. Love my boat....so I would rather put new in. Thinking about a folding prop...great for backing up....maybe I can beat my buddy who has the same boat!
Thanks again for your help.

G

H33

Hi Jake, you are welcome. Over the years Hunter Marine has always been very competitive and prompt with my parts orders.

Just another consideration, even though you've made up your mind, is to do what my surveyor advised me. Our 1989 H28 had rudder play as well when we purchased her in 1999. It was marginal, too. He said to leave it until the next haul out to see whether there was a change in the amount of play. We did and there was not. Three years later the new owner of our H28 had it surveyed and still no difference in the amount of play.

Good luck on your project.

Terry Cox

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Hey Jake, long time no talk! Interesting. Did you try turning the rudder to full deflection and now push on it for and aft? Was the play with rudder amidships? Also I assume she is on the hard which is how you determined this. It makes me wonder, because of only lateral play, if the symptom is the problem... or if their as afore mentioned is no real problem at all. Sorry its been so long.

Cheers
Rick

Mar 15, 2009
Hunter 336 Watkins Glen
Hey Rick

Yes it has been a long time. No worries. I have not had the rudder hard over and checked the play. I will do that in the morning. I am going up to dig a hole so I can drop the rudder. Hunter has provided the drawings for the bushings. My buddy is going mill out a couple of sets. Better than $175 and $100 for the bottom one. Let me know if you could use the plans as well. They are good for the 33.5 and 340 as well.
By the way...I have to drop the rudder anyway...time for a new cutlass. Should have that in the next 3 days. Fun fun fun! What a great season on the new boat. Thinking of buying a new main....but....$3000 right now...not the best economic times!! I will let you know how this goes....give an email sometime...jbarnes12@stny.rr.com
Good to hear from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.