336 Mast Base Under the Sole

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James

The FRP support floor/pan directly below my compression post base has fallen 1/2" +/-causing the sole to also bend down twards the center a bit. There seems to be some kind of fiberglass bedding caulk below the pan where it sits on the main hull cross supports. I believe it may have been that way since it was built (I am the third owner). Has anyone else had this base/pan/sole sagging situation? I can raise the sole a bit with no problem although I need to know if this is a serious structural issue. Please advise. Thanks.

K

Ken Osborne

Mast Support

I didn't see the year of your boat, but mine is a 1996 336 with the same problem. I think calling Hunter is a good idea but would be surprised if they stand behind this.1 800 771-5556. They should, because it's definitley a design flaw. Whatever's under there is not holding up to the pressure. That shouldn't happen, in my case, to a 7 yr old boat. This is the third or fourth question about this problem in 2 months. Ken

T

Terry

James, have a marine surveyor investigate...

to determine whether it is structural (it sounds so). Take their report that includes a statement of the problem and recommended repair solution to Hunter Marine for resolution sending a courtesy copy to your insurance company. Include in your cover letter, to a specific person at Hunter Marine, a request for repair assistance keeping the tone of the letter positive and supportive. Hunter Marine is one of the most customer focused companies I've ever dealt with. Give them the opportunity to make it right with your request. If you encounter resistance perhaps your insurance company representative can help leverage for a more favorable solution in your favor. They also have a stake in your investment, although I doubt this falls within their claim criteria. Terry

J

James

Hunter / My Surveyor have Spoken

There is a exposed "wood" support directly below the mast base that has rotted away cousing the sole to fall. I will need to drop the mast and have it cut out and replaced (this time in stainless steel). Poor choice of origional material in my opinion. Thanks to all for commenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.