336 fuel pickup tube removal

curtdo

Nov 9, 2012
Hunter 336 Atlanta
Can someone please tell me the procedure to remove the fuel pickup tube from the plastic fuel tank on the 336? I am frankly afraid :eek: to turn the nuts on top of the tank, not knowing what is supposed to come loose.

Purpose is to check for any clog, as I have been having performance issue.

Thanks
Don

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
Floaters in the fuel tank?

I would like to hear from members that have cleaned out their poly fuel tanks.
I suspect I get an intermittent "floater" when we are banging thru windy seas.

The power goes soft andte engine dies. It's it really not overheated.but what I have found is that the fuel filter cup is about 2/3-3/4 empty. So I assume it's somewhere at the tank. I break the vacuum at the Racor , let it sit for a few minutes and then rebleed and lock down the bleeder nut as it reprimes( via the racor's pump. I think whatever was glommed on the sipper was dropped when the vacuum was broken.

Then I work to bleed the fuel pressure pump and the fuel filter cup. And it starts.

I've removed as much oil in the tank as possible. It appears the poly tank is pressed in or glued into the fuel tank "socket". I'd destroy it to try pull it out. There's still some fuel in the corner/ edges. How do we flush to loosen and evacuate the rest. Do I use kerosene as a " solvent"?

I've only got the 1-1/2" filler nipple and about 3/4" vent nipple. How does one open up the fuel level gauge? Which of the nuts/ screws do I remove and will anything then drop off the bottom of the assembly into the tank? Could the sipper tube be compromised? I may be able to borrow a cen-tech video scope to try see into the tank.

Please give me some guidance. As I lost my sees of reliability the fuel delivery when I leave e dock. Btw I have the 2gmf which has been amazingly reliable.

Rich M

Nov 5, 2007
Hunter 28.5 Annapolis, MD
JT,
I also have an 85 28.5 and a few years ago I was having a continuing issue with water in the fuel. The original owner of my boat added a 4 inch clean out at the top of the tank, in the locker floor. After several very messy issues I determined that the water was coming into the tank from the water muffler as they appear to be right next to each other as designed. I initially added a 6 gallon poly tank that I strapped down above the original fuel tank. Over the next 2 years I had no issues at all and decided to invest in a slightly larger proper poly fuel tank. I now carry about 12 gallons of fuel and have not had a single issue (knock on wood) since. It does take up a bit of locker space and makes getting to the hot water heater a bit of a challenge, but I now have a reliable fuel source.