33.5 reefing configuration

Sep 12, 2019
Hunter 335 Seattle
My '92 Hunter 33.5 didn't have a reef line run, removed at some point by PO. My question is what type of line do I need to replace it, and how is it run? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Your manual below shows the reefing diagram with a line from the tack reef cringle onto a sheave inside the mast then out of the boom at the mast through a sheave then t block at the base of the mast then to through a jammer or clutch on the cabin top in the the cockpit. The line should be low stretch. 3/8" would work on your size boat.

1621376940770.png

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019
Hunter 335 Seattle
Thanks, doesn't look too bad. Basically need to find a long lead that I can guide through the boom to capture the line. Does anyone have any idea on length of the line?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.........Does anyone have any idea on length of the line?
My quick estimate is distance from cringle to the boom + boom length x 2 + distance from boom to deck + some extra to wrap around a winch. Before you purchase a reef line suggest installing a small diameter tag line from the cringle to the winch and verify the boom routing is that simple and does not have another sheave inside the boom that requires more line. Then measure the line to be sure.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
You might confirm whether you have provision for a second reef, which I would expect in a cruising boat. If so, you just need to go thru the process twice.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Have you downloaded the manual? If you haven't you can download it on this site.
On page 34 I think it shows the running rigging. I think there is a type o I don't think 48" is right, more like 48'
Hope this helps.
Don

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019
Hunter 310 Pine Beach, NJ
I dont think the sbove arrangement will work. You need the reef to pull down the luff and do it with purchase. This diagram is a much better arrangement and is ehats dhown in my H310 manusl. Line needs to start at the leach. Shown here it is tied to s cleat or padeye on the aft end of the boom. From the sail it goes through the boom. Coming out the top by the goodeneck, it goes up the luff, through a cringle then back down. From there its your decision to cleat or run through a fairlead back to the cockpit. I believe the purchase on the luff is sbsolutely necessary unless you only intend to reef at dock before raising the sail. Purchase on the leach may not be needed. Tying the aft end of the line to the leach crimgle may work.