326 mast step question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2009
2003 Hunter 326 Lake Erie Ford Yacht Club
I have a 326 with a Selden furling main. I have to lower mast for repairs. I am at new club that all members do their own thing, so I have never personally taken down the mast. Question is should I put top rope attachment just above or below top spreader (I have 2 spreaders). Someone told me I need to find pivot point, any ideas how high. Also, I just purchased 50' of 5/8" dock line with 1900 lb capacity, is this strong enough?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
This is a big mistake to "attempt" to drop the mast without a crane. Chances are that someone or something is going to get damaged.

Take it to q yard or repair it with the stick in place.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 410 Charlevoix, MI
My experience at clubs where members do their own thing (including using a gin pole to pull masts) was that other experienced members are very anxious to help newbies learn how to do things right. Find out who those members are. The Fleet Captain (or other officer in charge of the gin pole and related equipment) will surely help you identify who will be able and willing to help you. Next, contact that individual and make an appointment for them to assist you with the project. With the right help, you will get your questions answered and learn how to do it safely. I think sailors should have this experience. You will learn a tremondous amount about your rig and will gain a lot of confidence in your boat when things are repaired correctly. Be sure to take the opportunity to inspect every aspect of your rig while it is down and repair any thing that isn't perfect.

Best wishes,

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Ask First

As suggested ask someone at your club how they do a big heavy mast like yours and I am sorry but I don't think using a gin pole on a heavy mast like yours.
I agree your mast is tall and heavy and most likely needs a lifting type crane to do it right with out doing any damage of any kind,what repairs are needed that you want to drop the mast.
I had the yard drop my 2001 290 mast and glad I had them drop it with a lift.
Nick

Sep 1, 2009
2003 Hunter 326 Lake Erie Ford Yacht Club
mast step

club does have a manual gin pole and I have seem them drop bigger masts than mine. Most certainly I will get help, you are right, once you start to work a crowd comes running to help. Not many furling masts at club and just wanted to know if top attachment should be above or below the top spreader.

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 326 Vaasa
Hi,

Here up north we take our masts down after every season and lift the boats out for winter.
You need to put the lifting strap just under the top spreader and it is a good idea to use a second strap a bit lower to lower the lifting point and pivot otherwise the base of the mast is very heavy and difficult to manoever. The process takes 30-40 min with 3 people. I guess the mast weighs about 150lb - a 2 man job to carry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.