321 bilge pump access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2010
Morgan 321 Olcott NY
I need to get at the electric bilge pump. It is under the cockpit aft of the engine out of reach. There is a narrow cutout in the quarter birth and another small one in the port cockpit hatch, neither are big enough for me to get in through.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Sounds like they built the boat around the pump. Can you cut out a bigger access hole? How far away is the reach? Can you get a smaller person in to do the job?

Dec 27, 2010
Morgan 321 Olcott NY
That is the problem, they build the boats around the systems, then somewhere down the road the owner has to get at them for repairs. A talented 7 year old could get in there but then you have child labor laws to worry about. I was thinking of opening up the access hole in the port cockpit hatch so I could maybe get in through there. I'm sure someone else must have had this problem.

Jun 25, 2006
-Morgan 323 Port of Everett Marina
I have a 1984 323 and there is a long skinny access port in the quarter birth area. It is a bit tight but I was able to get to the pump. If not that can you install a new one closer to the lazerett?

Dec 27, 2010
Morgan 321 Olcott NY
No way I'll ever get in that opening, and I'm not that big. I think I will have a better chance through the port cockpit hatch. I want to move the pump forward of the engine and replace the hoses.

Status
Not open for further replies.