315 Backstay Adjuster

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Yes you can, as long as you get financial approval and it doesn’t impact the expected Christmas Shopping plans.

I am not sure what Middle Age is for a sail.

I knew my sails were aged when I bought my boat. One day I looked up at the sail with the sun shining on the back of the sail and I saw thousands of tiny holes with sun rays sparkling through. The sail went immediately from “maybe it can go another season” to “Damn… That sail has been living on borrowed time”. Good luck with the CFO in your house.
I was going to try and replace the sun cover on my 10+ year old Genoa last winter….but had the sail loft look at it when was dropping of my 2-season old mainsail. I wasn’t too sure I could sew on the new cover (but I did strip off the old one). I am planning to retire in March, and in the end, I figured it was easier to get the CFO to sign off on a new jib while I was still working! So I ordered the new jib and sailed it this past season.

Then I figured I might as well treat myself to a retirement gift, and just ordered a new 3-blade Max Prop!

I did have to promise the CFO ”no new boat”.:confused:

I should be set for a while once I get on a fixed income. Only other big planned expense is replacing the standing rigging at some point.

Greg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm curious ... what is the purpose for having a pair of backstays running up to the head? The forestay of the Catalina 315 is so close to the head that it might be considered a fractional rig, otoh it might not. Does it have something to do with it? Post #3 from @Davidasailor26 appears to be a feasible way (maybe the only feasible way) to make a backstay adjuster. I don't think it will ever affect the main sail shape, though. Keep in mind that the function of the adjuster on a masthead rig is to reduce forestay sag as the wind increases. I think it's a very useful adjustment on a masthead rig. Keep in mind, it doesn't impact rake during upwind sailing (it does affect rake for downwind sailing in a beneficial way). While sailing upwind, the tension on the backstay increases with a corresponding increase in forestay tension. Rake is equalized at all times during upwind sailing regardless of the tension in the forestay and backstay. Increasing the tension of the stays reduces forestay sag, which has a big impact on the shape of the head sail. Reducing forestay sag flattens the head sail, which really helps to reduce heeling and helm pressure is greatly reduced.