311How do they perform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2004
- - Lake Norman, NC
I was looking at at 311. The owner seldom gets a chance to use it and is ready to let it go. The archives and other net info are limited on this vessel. Can anyone give me any insight. It seems much lighter than comparable vessels. Looks to me like it would be on the tender side. I sail now on a protected inland lake but plan on moving to the coast of NC / SC in the next few years. This vessel appears to be on the small side for the coast.

Jun 25, 2004
Islander 36 San Francisco
I have been on a 311 in SF Bay

A month or so ago I was able to go sailing on a 311 in San Francisco Bay for a couple of hours. I had a great time. If you know this area you are aware of the very strong winds that are often present. On that day we had winds from 5 to 25 k. Although I was just along for the ride, as part of a demo, I felt the boat sailed fine in all conditions and the furling mail was totally easy to reef. I never felt that the boat was being over powered in the strong winds or had any other problems. (We only sailed with a jib and the main.) As for size, well to me it seemed like a very large boat. I guess it depends on what you are used to. --Dan

Jun 3, 2004
- - Windsor, Ont. Canada
Confidence in a Beneteau 311

I have a B-311 and have been sailing it on the Great Lakes for four years. I have the classic mainsail and have been very pleased with the B-311's performance. Don't get me wrong, it is not a racer but a cruising boat with an attitude. In 2002 two of us sailed it from Toledo, Ohio to Toronto, Ontario and back in 18 days, traveling 651nm. Because I singlehand a lot and at other times may have only one crew on board for trips, to keep it on it's feet I will put the first reef in at 15 kts wind and the second reef at 25 kts wind. Yesterday I was out on Lake Erie with an experienced crew and two non sailing quests in winds that gusted steadily at 20-25 kts with an occasional gusts over 30 kts. The waves were 3-5' We hit 7.5 kts to weather and 9..2 kts on a run. A year ago in steady winds of 30 plus kts we did surf down a wave and hit 12.5 kts and just on the edge of a broach. Having toured Beneteau's Marion SC plant this spring I am confident it the way my B-311 was built and have great confidence in its performance. Saying that, I still personally would not want to take a B-311 off shore. s/v Crew's Control

May 28, 2004
- - Lake Norman, NC
Thanks for the 311 reviews

Dan and Ron, I appreciate the sailing reviews of the 311. I had originally planned on something in the 34 to 36 range. I am rethinking that now, it seems the larger the vessel the more time it spends at the dock. I definitely want to have time to sail and enjoy whatever I get. I was surprised at the relatively light displacement of the 311, in comparison to the Catalina 310, Hunter 30s, and Pearsons. It is several thousand pounds lighter. The lack of weight and the long water line definitely make her a better perfomer. Although I suspect a little less sea kindly in rough water. I will probably go for a test sail on the one at the local lake. I definitely want to give it a serious look. The oversized bimini is a big plus, we have hot sun and light breezes in the Summer and any and all shade is appreciated. I hope there is stand up room under it. Thanks again, Chip

Jun 25, 2004
Weight does not equal Strength

Don’t be confused by equating “weight” or “mass” with “strength”. Years ago this was a true statement but these days that just isn’t true anymore. A well engineered boat with less “mass” can be many times stronger than a heavier boat of the same length or size. Without getting into the physics of the building a stable hull let me just said that these days there is no longer any correlation between boat mass and strength. Engineering, materials and quality of construction all are more important than the total mass of a boat when determining the overall “strength” of a boat. I have been on a few Catalina 310’s, and one Hunter 30 and while these are fine boats my two hour sail on the 311 impressed me quite a bit. IMHO the 311 is a better boat as it should be as it is built to a higher price point. Nothing against these other two fine boats and one two hour sail is does not make me an expert but that’s my opinion for what it is worth . . . which probably is not much! That being said a 35 or 36 foot boat is substantially bigger than a 31 (that’s for sure) and I think most people feel more secure on a bigger boat. I don’t think anyone should underestimate this “how they feel” about the size of the boat they want to buy. One of the worst feelings in the world is buyers’ remorse especially when it comes to new and very expensive sailboats. My advice is that, if you can handle it, it is always better to go a bit bigger than a bit smaller. --Dan

May 28, 2004
- - Lake Norman, NC
weight vs. strength

Thanks Dan, I was thinking more in terms of more weight equaling a smoother ride. No doubt modern building techniques create stronger vessels with less weight to contend with. I have not studied the Beneteau line all that much. It sounds like Beneteau does a fine job with their construction techniques; they definitely enjoy a good reputation worldwide. I have sailed on two Hunter 30s and was not impressed with either of them. I haven't had the opportunity to get on a Catalina 310 or 320. However, an acquaintance does have a Catalina 36, he previously owned a Catalina 30 and much prefers the sailing characteristics of the 36. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to sail on several different vessels before purchasing. I am thinking a 31 to 34 footer would be ideal. I want reasonably comfortable accomadations at the dock without being so large that it is too much trouble to take the boat out without a "crew". What did you see as weaknesses on the Hunter 30 and the Catalina 310? Have you ever had the opportunity to sail a Catalina 320? If so what did you think about it? Thanks, Chip

Jun 25, 2004
Sorry for the the delayed response.

Hi Chip— Sorry for the delay in my response. I have been on more than one Catalina 310 but never a 320. I like Catalina boats and since I am here on the West Coast we have a lot of them. I have nothing bad to say about these boats. They represent a good value and they all sail petty good. No one should ever be surprised by a Catalina. They are what they are cruisers to the core and there is nothing wrong with that. I can’t put my finger on exactly what it is about the Hunter 30 but I feel just like you. I have though about this answer for awhile and well this is it sounds a bit nutty here goes. This boat, as most Hunter’s, seems to be designed by a committee, they just don’t seem to have a style. It’s like the person designed one part of the boat not knowing how another was going to design another section. Still many sailors like Hunter’s and if they work for them that’s good. I’m for variety, but these are boats I would never consider owning. Hope this helps. --Dan

May 28, 2004
- - Lake Norman, NC
Thanks for the respons

Dan, I appreciate your thoughts on the Catalinas and Hunters. One of my former co-workers has a Catalina 36, so I will get to sail on it and see how well I like a larger vessel. He has it here in charlotte at Lake Norman. We don't get lots of wind on this inland lake in the Summer. We are definitely hot, dry, and lacking in the wind department for the months of July and August. He says he rarely pulls the sails up unless the wind is just right. The larger boat, with it's larger sails, is just not worth the trouble unless he is sure the wind is up to the task. Some sailors recommend the later model Hunters, citing excellent mfg. support, a well appointed interior, and good pricing. I have looked at them, however, after sailing on two different 30s', I just can't warm up to them. Especially the newer 30, I felt like I was in a floating clorox bottle. I have never sailed on a Beneteau, and I wonder if the 311 won't be a little on the light side and somewhat cramped in the interior. I do want something that can run up and down the coast one day. From what I have seen and read, the 311, although not a racer, appears to be a fairly fast vessel. Again, thanks for your help and insight. Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.