310 Standing Rigging/Rudder Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Sheridan

I'm looking for information on standing rigging problems on the 310. Mine is a 1997, roller-furled, and I have literally no adjustment left in the threaded forestay adjustment unit located under the furling gear. This, in tandem with lower-diamond shrouds that were too long have loosened my rig. Replacing the lowers will help, but I also need to tighten that forestay, and should have at least 1.5", by my estimation of adustment (the threaded area is about 3-4 inches long). I noticed the problem at first when I saw the woodwork just forward of the galley and above the settee actually shifting! As far as the rudder goes, I noticed severe vibration in reverse last season, and have been told I need to replace my rudder bearings. Anyone else had these problems? Also, I'd like to get a copy of the recent Practical Sailor article on 310 rigging problems. If someone has one, please forward it to DvSheridan@aol.com, or fax it to me at 715-442-4422.

D

Doug B

How about the top of the forestay

Do you have a cup-swaged terminal at the mast on your forestay or do you have one with adjustment? Maybe you could back off your lower in order to give yourself futre adjustment options, and then cut at the top, trim 1.5" off top of forestay and then install new norsman or staylock fitting at top. Just an idea. Good luck

P

Patrick Higgins

Rudder yes, rigging no

I have a '99 that has a low frequency hum that sounds like a fractional horsepower motor running. This was noted on the sea trial of the boat prior to purchase in May '99. Its now Mar '00 and just last week I prevailed upon the dealer to short haul the boat to see if it was originating under the hull. Lo and behold the rudder, when grasped and shaken duplicated the noise perfectly. Yes it was the nylon bearing and is scheduled to be replaced next week. I havent had any rigging problems, but there is a bad leak through the topsides somewhere. Other than that I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.