310 owners...Keel question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim McCarty

when I hauled out two weeks ago, I noticed a small crack on the back end of my keel up by the keel joint (where it connects to the hull). At first, I thought the keel was cracked (!!), however, upon further inspection, it looks like the fairing compound (connecting the keel to the hull) is cracked. Has anyone from, say, hull#250 to hull#350 noticed this phenomenon?? I will probably just strip it, re-fair it out, and sand it next season.

J

Jim P

I'll look next week.

Tim: I'm pulling my 310 on October 26 (hull #165). I'll report what I find when I get her out of the water.

R

Richard W

Keel Question

I had the same problem ( Hull # 202) when I hauled my boat out the first time. I believe it's commonly referred to as the "Catalina Smile". Checked the keel bolts etc and everything appeared to be OK. I filled & sanded the area and so far this seems to have permanently fixed the problem. Now let’s hope I’m not tempting fate by saying that!!

T

Tim McCarty

Thanks Guys!

I'm not too terribly concerned...other than knowing I have a little more hull prep work to do next spring.

J

Jim P.

Nothing on Mine

Hi Tim: I checked the keel on hull #162 yesterday when I pulled it. No crack so far. Where do you sail out of in LaSalle? Do you recommend it?

K

Kevin Curry

Nor on mine

I also checked my hull/keel interface - no problems seen.

T

Tim McCarty

To Jim P...

I sail out of Toledo Beach Marina...for my money the best marina on the west end of Lake Erie...deep water, and about 3 minutes to get to the lake...

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
No cracks

No cracking of my hull/keel joint last I looked. This last spring I tightened the keel bolts to the recommended torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.