310 interest with some concerns!

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Thank You Greatly, I am interested in the 310 for the reason I think most 310 owners are- the livability for a couple. I went to my broker who I have a good history over the years. I want a local 310 and not one from other regions. Many reasons for this position- mainly East Coast boats tend to have shallow keels for their cruising grounds as I prefer Deep keel. There are other reasons I wont get into now. You mention the 320- I have not been on one but discovered Catalina built many more and their are two versions. The 320 is misleading to me as I looked at its dimensions and if I recall it is actually 34 feet? Again their was also a C34mk2 being built as well. I suppose you liked your 320 and am sure it has pro's and con's. I actually would not want a 320 as we prefer sleeping forward. Again the 310 only being 31 feet seems to be the best couples boat for coastal cruising. As I stated earlier post- I am sad this model was discontinued :( Thank You for clearing up the 5 series. I have not seen the 315 in person. My broker and dealer does not have any in stock at present. To order one now would mean I would be lucky to get it by July. I am taking the position of holding out for a 310. The 355 as you have is very nice. Dealer just sold one. There is a price jump between boats as I mentioned earlier about 58K. One reason I am holding out for a 310. The price jump was between 315 & 355 base boat. Since the CP on 5 series is embedded in fiber glass hull I would think it would be hard to inspect and maintain. I was led to believe by Warren Pandy that you don't!! Again, Thanks a bunch!
Glad to help, that's what's great about these forums. We had our 320 for 12 years and loved the boat. However, as you point out one of the reasons we knew we would be moving on was due to the sleeping arrangement. We spend up to 2 months a season sleeping on our boats and the forward berth was not comfortable and we were tired over the somersault exercise in the aft cabin. The 320 is actually something like 32' 6", but I don't recall.
As to your question of why builders don't use Butyl, Gerry was quoted in Practical Sailor a few months ago saying he has been using it for years on his boat...he just doesn't say where ;)

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Couple of Thoughts - In no Order

Catalina like all builders is not perfect, but they build a great boat. I have owned a C22 and now a C310 and they were both great boats. IMHO Catalina does not typically cut corners, but occasionally mistakes happen.

They do not use Maine Sails butyl tape, but they should. ;) I would say that my dock neighbors C309 had the forward hatch leak after 1 year and the butyl was running when he pulled the hatch out to rebed it. Catalina gets their materials from many of the same places we do and occasionally they get some bad stuff. In their case it shows up in a couple of boats and people gripe.

But, lets be honest in that all builders have problems. I just think Catalina has proportionately less that some other big name builders (and don't get me started about french wiring design). :snooty:

If you can do it you should go to the factory to see how they build boats. It is very impressive. There is a lot of attention to detail and process which makes for a better boat. When I went I met Warren Pandy (as well as Gerry Douglas) and he is a good guy and through the years he has been helpful in answering questions.

I will say that the C315 leaves me lukewarm but that is just because my C310 is such a superiorly awesome boat, IMHO. But I do lust over the C355 and the C445 in particular - actually I have never seen a Catalina I did not like.

Every boat needs maintenance. I do think the ball and socket design is pretty awesome and wish my C310 had them on all of the fittings, but the current design if fine if you keep an eye on things and do your maintenance. Nothing hoses a boat over faster than lack of maintenance. :naughty:

Also for the record, I would prefer that Stu not have to eat his hat as he is pretty helpful and gives good advice, but that PaulJ guy, well ... :D

Sep 11, 2007
PSC FLICKA seattle wa
My Flicka has a zip out head liner that allows full inspection of all deck mounted gear! Just something I like!!

Sep 11, 2007
PSC FLICKA seattle wa
think there are few C-310's full keel in the PNW (315 is a small boat) 355 cost's much! LOCAL Dealer has no Cat's in the inventory! Still holding out for a 310 PNW boat!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
1 - think there are few C-310's full keel in the PNW

2 - (315 is a small boat)

3 - 355 cost's much! LOCAL Dealer has no Cat's in the inventory!

4 - Still holding out for a 310 PNW boat!
1- I'd bet that ALL PNW 310s are full keels. No hat eating involved! :eek:

2 - It's a "new" C30 inside, with many systemic improvements

3 - No kidding. But, as you already know, it is a completely different boat. It's the "new" C34 with many systemic improvements, like all "5" series Catalinas

4 - How are you actually looking?

PLUS:

You earlier said you were going to talk to Warren about the chainplates. Did you? If so, what did you learn? We all would be very interested in your experience. Thanks.