30" + of ice on the bay today, so,,,,,,,,,

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
30 inches thick ? Which bay ?

great shot of 3985... Wooo...woooooooo...woo..woooooo

Man i love steam locomotives.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The old girl we have here. All the older volunteers are fading away so I hope to volunteer to work on her in 2022.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Looking at the train videos, I know I was born 100 years too late.

My son and I rented a 2- 6-0 steam engine and five ore cars for four hours from the Northern Nevada Railway Museum a few years back and it was the biggest thrill of our lives. The cost was $2,500.00 and worth every penny of it. We had to study for a safety exam and the train had a full crew while we were allowed to operate it, engineer; fireman; and conductor. We took turns running it up to an old copper mine bringing it back down. The rail line is connected to the operating rail grid hence all the formalities. The engineer was a young woman and new that engine inside and out. She'd worked in the engine barn as a mechanic for a number of years and worked on rebuilding the engine.

100_5395.JPG

IMG_3320_Fotor 2ABA_Fotor.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Wow....I went out to the marina today and found no ice (there was ice on Saturday). It was 50 degrees or do, so I was able to bed all 8 new above-the-waterline thru hulls I wanted to replace this layup. Also got a new magnesium shaft anode added.... should be ready to splash when the mailbag opens on April 1.

Did not take the winter cover off today though....don’t trust nature to not drop a little more snow in the next few weeks.

Greg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The engineer was a young woman and new that engine inside and out. She'd worked in the engine barn as a mechanic for a number of years and worked on rebuilding the engine.
Very cool expérience ! That $2500 would definitely be worth every penny.
I am jealous.

The woman's expérience is typical from what I understand. Here, you volunteer and work on the cars and locos based on your skills initially. As you learn you do more. Some eventually end up also being train crew for passenger trips.
The steam loco had it complete rebuild a few years ago. Would have been fun to be part of that.