3 hour tour

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We were thinking of starting the engine in the slip and running it for about 40-45 minutes to see if we can replicate anything rather than taking it out. Does anyone see a problem with this, and if not, what would be a safe RPM for idling?
I like that idea as a way of troubleshooting. It might help isolate the source as either the engine or from somewhere else that comes to the bilge when the boat is moving around. Also open the engine compartment to see if there is any smoke or particulate in the air when it’s running. For that amount of time I would be comfortable running the engine at idle, and maybe just revving it to 2000 or so for one minute every 5-10 minutes. You could run it higher the whole time, but it’ll probably just make more noise and bother than added value.

Was the bilge dry before you took that trip? If it had water in it then the water could have just taken on the color of whatever dirt was in the area. If it was dry and the dirty water came in from somewhere that’s a different issue than if it’s just dirt mixing with the water.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We were thinking of starting the engine in the slip and running it for about 40-45 minutes to see if we can replicate anything rather than taking it out. Does anyone see a problem with this, and if not, what would be a safe RPM for idling?
Put a load on the engine when running. Make sure the dock lines are secure and then put it in gear and run at about 1200-1500 RPM.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm wondering if all this black was hiding somewhere in the boat and when you took it out, had some turn or some angle that allowed it to drain into the bilge. The bilge is fed from many places. Could there have been some spill previously that was just waiting to move into your bilge? This boat is new to you, correct?

dj

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Mean Green did a very good job and says it can be used on boats and many other applications. Can you please elaborate what would make you not want it on your boat?
Here is the material Safety Data sheet
https://www.vercounty.org/MSDS/SDS-EMA/57-MeanGreenSuperStrengthCleanerSDS.pdf
It is basically a surfactant. That means it disburses not cleans. It was in your bilge, some goes over board eventually.
However, if you use the personal protective equipment and follow disposal procedures it could be used.
Dermal [skin] dose kills rabbits [test animals].
Simple Green will go after many things on the boat too. Ammonia too. Windex with Ammonia D will fog plexiglas.
I used Purple Power on my engine, since it has a separate bilge and I used Diesel Diapers to collect and dispose.
I would try Formula 409 [a surfactant]. That cleaned teak oil off teak and mold off caulking.
____
If Hydrogen Peroxide cleans up the black, most likely black mold.
If Liquid Plumber changed its color after 24 hours, most likely rubber from a belt
If some inside a Aluminum foil ball, that was put on a fire for a few minutes, then cooled and opened is still black, Carbon soot.

Jim...

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Does your boat have a false bilge? If the boat never left the dock it may have had gunk that was in the false bilge until the gunk could slosh out. Like Djl said.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
How about the foam air cleaner. I’ve had one deteriorate and throw black dust everywhere. Very similar to belt dust.
I'll be completely honest... I have no idea what/where the foam air cleaner would be, but when the engine was serviced a couple of months ago (engine hasn't been ran since as we have been out of town), the Yanmar mechanic changed all filters that I am aware of.

I had a Catalina 34 that had a foam air filter. When we got the Hunter 38 I went looking for it as part of my annual maintenance. It doesn’t have one.

Ed.S

Jan 31, 2020
Hunter 376 St. Petersburg
I have a Hunter 376. After a very rough transit I found the water in the bilge to be Black as India ink and it was not oily or powdery. There was no sign of the blackness any where else in the boat, after I cleaned the bilge it has not returned. It was not from the engine, transmission or exhaust elbow. The only thing that drains into the bilge is the A/C which wasn't running at the time and the refrigerator. It is still a mystery to me but if anyone has had a similar experience I would like to know if you found the answer.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When the engine is started how long until water flows out of the exhaust?

Has the exhaust mixing elbow been inspected for carbon build up?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
At this point I’d start looking for something electrical or something having to do with using the stove, given that the diesel is evidently not the source of it. Maybe it is soot from something having “burned“ with the ash settling in the bilge atop the bilge water, given the odor you mention. What about the bilge pump? Check for evidence of burning/shorting, etc. Check around the battery bank; charger, etc. Do not leave the boat plugged-in while you are away, etc. Perhaps disconnect the batteries too.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Also, please put a size reference in your pic with the “o-ring.”

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Man that is spooky. That seems like a LOT of soot to be coming from a mystery source.

I think @Kings Gambit paranoia about plugging in the boat while away is worth considering until you figure out what that is.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
If you have a small weeping leak on your freshwater system, it can slowly flood down and collect in the strangest places until it reaches the tip over point where it finally works its way to the bilge. Below the water tanks, and other areas of the boat that are near impossible to clean suddenly getting a slow trickle of water over a course of days push years of accumulated gunk downhill to the bilge.

When you left the boat, was your water pressure breaker turned off? Have your water tank levels dropped when you were away from the boat? We had a tiny crack on the hose where it attaches to the barb at the cold water inlet to the electric water heater.. It was leaking only a litre or so every other day, but once I replaced the hose and barb/tank fitting we were drip dry again.

Take a very close look around your fresh water manifold with some paper towels, the water system on and pressurized, all tank valves open, all tanks full, and check carefully for leaks. You may be simply pumping fresh water from your tanks into the bilge and picking up years of crud and moving it into the bilge. If it was a salt water leak, I expect the stench would be over powering, hence why I'm guessing its a fresh water issue.

The other place to check are your shower sump boxes, (we switched ours to zero maintenance Whale Grey Water IC's), and all raw water sources, (heads, air con, refrigeration, etc), carefully check all the thru-hulls again looking for any trace amount of moisture.

My wise old boat mechanic told me the best bilge cleaner is simply yellow sunlight dish detergent and hot water. It works very well for pennies on the dollar versus expensive bilge cleaners and is non-corrosive to your keel bolts. Just add the soap to the hot water unless you want bubbles everywhere. I use this to tackle the big jobs, and often get everything spotless. However if I need to spot clean afterwards, then I'll bring out the heavy duty cleaners.

Finally if you have any Zaal No Flex Digestor, add a couple of tablespoons to bilge next time you leave the boat unattended, after everything is clean. Zaal breaks down organic material and is harmless to metals. (Product is used to clean hoses and holding tank issues.) If any more black coloured water ends up in the bilge, the Zaal will make clean up easier at least.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I had a problem with the leaking toilet and from and seeing that black ring reminded of when I grabbed the similar toilet gasket my hand turned black like I'd reached into a stovepipe. That gasket was inside the tank and I don't recall black water there but the tank got fresh water at least twice a day so not much time for that to settle out and turn the water black. The only other thing that came to mind was day long candles and the soot they put out but think that would just settle on the surface of the water. fwiw

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Man...this one is sure a head scratcher. I'll be very interested to find out what this is once you figure it out.

Ed.S

Jan 31, 2020
I have a Hunter 376. After a very rough transit I found the water in the bilge to be Black as India ink and it was not oily or powdery. There was no sign of the blackness any where else in the boat, after I cleaned the bilge it has not returned. It was not from the engine, transmission or exhaust elbow. The only thing that drains into the bilge is the A/C which wasn't running at the time and the refrigerator. It is still a mystery to me but if anyone has had a similar experience I would like to know if you found the answer.

Ed.S

Jan 31, 2020
I have not answered this post because I don't have any more information. The bilge cleared up and stayed that way for a long time then it mysteriously reappeared. It eventually cleared itself then recently appeared again . It is not the engine, transmission, belts, filters or electrical. The only thing that sounds like it could be is water pockets under the floorboards that gets spilled into the bilge when the boat is heeled over at a steep angle. Thanks for all the responses, I'm still looking for the source.
Also, does anyone know what the size and pitch is on the propeller for the Hunter 376 i currently have a 2 blade folding prop. and might need to replace it during my next haul-out.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Also, does anyone know what the size and pitch is on the propeller for the Hunter 376 i currently have a 2 blade folding prop.
Call or email SBO shops on this site. Have you HIN number handy.

I'm still looking for the source.
See my post #11 above to sample and test for the source.

Jim...

PS: If you have a refrigerator it may be gunk from the insulation too.

Ed.S

Jan 31, 2020
Call or email SBO shops on this site. Have you HIN number handy.

See my post #11 above to sample and test for the source.

Jim...

PS: If you have a refrigerator it may be gunk from the insulation too.
I will try the test kit although I'm pretty sure it is fresh water. Thanks