3 GMF Yanmar Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich Wallace

We just completed a two week cruise on our H34 with a 3GMF Yanmar. On the last day we had an experience that needs to be relayed to all owners of the smaller Yanmars. When we are using the diesel for extended periods of time, I try to check it about once an hour to see that is cooling properly and nothing is leaking. On one of my hourly checks I opened the engine cover to the smell of diesel fuel. We immediately shut down the engine and tried to determine the source of the leak. After some investigation it was apparent that the leak was around the fuel filter on the side of the engine. Eventually I found that the threaded aluminum collar that holds the filter cup to the mount had split allowing for a leak between the cup and the mount. Having no replacement parts, we rigged up a funnel and some hose to catch the leaking fuel and were able to motor the last few miles without filling the engine pan with fuel. My suggestion to anyone with the Yanmar 1, 2, and 3 GMF (and I think the 1GM10, 20 and 30's as well) probably need to carry a spare collar along with the extra filters and O rings that you already have. . Happy Sailing!

M

Mike Daus

After motoring last week...

I checked our Yanmar 3GMF oil level and coolant levels, which were fine, but noticed a little diesel fuel on the hand I used to replace the oil dipstick. It's a tight squeeze along the starbard side of the engine compartment of our 1982 H36 but it appeared that there was some fuel leaking in the vicinity of the engine-mounted fuel filter. There is a braided fuel line (with banjo fittings on either end) that go from the engine-mounted lift pump around the oil dipstick to the fuel filter. One of the fittings is located at the top of the fuel filter flange. I think my frequent oil level checks in the tight space inadvertently put pressure on the hose connection at the fuel filter, the banjo fitting over time loosened. I tightened it and the fuel leak has all but stopped but I still get a drop showing up at the bottom of the filter bowl occasionally. My next thought was to check the fuel filter itself. It's a tight space, difficult to get to and I don't have the proper wrench for the fuel filter. I think I'll check into getting the parts you suggest before I dive into this further. Thanks for your advice. Mike s/v Charisma 1982 H36

P

Paul Akers

Banjo fitting

The washers on either side of the banjo fitting are designed as one-time washers. The first time they are used, they will conform to the seal of the fitting. If they are loosened, then they will not sit properly when it is tightened back up. Buy a bag of them (10) for 4.00 from Yanmar and keep the spares around.

P

Paul Akers

One more thing...

...they are made of copper and are quite recognizable.

M

Mike Daus

Copper washers

Will put them on my list. Our engine only has 380 hours on it and we have put less than 20 hours on it going into our second season with the boat. The previous owner's records showed good maintenance intervals. I have not replaced the fuel filter yet and, thus, have not had the pleasure of getting the filter bowl off and out. With the sound isolation padding on the starboard side of the engine compartment, throttle and engine shutoff cables, battery cables, and the already little room, I really doubt that there is enough room to get any sort of filter wrench in there. Just to get a wrench on the banjo fitting (17 mm on one fitting, 15 mm on the other)was a real contortion act. Anyway, do you guys have this clearance problem and, if so, do you know of any special tools or methods that make it easier? Thanks for your help. Mike s/v Charisma 1982 H36

Status
Not open for further replies.