3 Blade Prop with 2QM15

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Logan

I'm thinking of replacing my current prop for my 1980 H33 with a 3 blade Campbell Sailer prop, 14X8. I've read in the archives a couple of people have used this prop and liked it. I understand the 8" pitch (which is a lot less than the standard 12" for the stock two blade) is because of the cupped design. Does anyone have any comments on this prop, boat and engine combination? The prop tested highest of the fixed blade props in PS a couple of years ago. Prop costs about $360, plus shipping.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Alternative!

Call Kilian Prop in San Leandro, CA. (510)614-0689. They can fix you two bladed prop for about $130. They will give you more thrust and take out the prop walk too. Take the extra money and buy something else for your boat (and a beer for me). Look this up in the archives and see what others have said.

J

Jim Logan

For Steve Dion

Steve, the problem is that the prop on the boat is an old CDI feathering design that worked well, but has picked up a vibration due to knocking a chip out of one of the massive plastic blades. The thing looks like a prop hub with two chunks of 3/4" thick dense nylon like material affixed to a central part that lets you adjust pitch. CDI quit making the prop, and the few parts they have are so expensive I might as well buy new. Can't see a $2000 feathering prop on a $20,000 boat.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Give them a call anyway.

Jim: Give them a call anyway, before you purchase a new prop. They can sell you a new one. Rebuild an old one and have other options too. These guys are really VERY knowledgable about props. You can discuss your problems and they will advise you on what to use. Even if you decide to go in another direction, you'll have some excellent advice. If you motor a lot, maybe a three bladed prop is the way to go. I personally don't think that a three blade prop is the way to go on a sailboat. A 1/2 knot decrease in sailing speed equates to about 8-10% loss. Also, a three bladed prop increases prop walk (don't know specially about the Campbell). Also look Campbell up in the archives. There has been a few posts about these props.

D

David

3 blade Sailor

Jim I have a 2 QM 20 with a three blade sailor which replaced the origional 2 blade. I purchased this because I am in an area where I have to motor quite a bit. The drag difference under sail with the sailor is not even noticeable. Under power it is great. Reverse is much better than a two blade because momentum does not have to be developed to acquire steerage. I have worked at two different prop shops and the only problem we had selling a three blade was that " real sailers don't use them ".

E

Ernie Rodriguez

Just installed one..

Jim: I just finished installing a new Campbell Sailer prop on my Hunter 36. The prop recommended for my boat (by the folks at West by North Enterprises in Canada)with the Yanmar 3GMD is a 3 blade 15 inch diameter 9 inch pitch. It is supposed to be equivalent to a standard 3 blade 15 inch diameter 11 inch pitch. I am very pleased with the results. The prop is lighter than the original 3 blade I had and has less drag, at least according to the write ups on it. I am currently trying to find out why I cannot reach max rpm at full throttle, but I do not beleive it is the prop. Check out their web site at www.WestByNorth.com Good luck, Ernie

G

Garry Elmer

New 3 blader on a 33

I just took our 1980 33 out for the first time with the 3 blader this week. Same YANMAR you have. What a difference! I bought a 14 X 10 x 3 from a company down in FL. This was a standard prop, not a fancy sailboat prop. I payed around $260 for it. Clean hull, 2900 RPM topped out, 6.9 knots by GPS. Smooth and responsive. I will probably loose a bit of speed under sail but I am not sure how much. I know one thing though, when I light off that diesel it's usually because I need it. I consider it an emergency system as much as an auxillary. Let the purest pay the fiberglass bills. The engine ran a bit warmer than with the 2 blader but I ran for 20 minutes at a "full bell" with no temperature alarms. If anyone wants the name of the company i can probably dig it out. I bought a shaft and cutlass from them also. Very good! Thanks Garry

Status
Not open for further replies.