2GMF hoses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2012
Islander 30 Bahama Keyport
I'm a Yanmar newbie, so pardon the question if it sounds simplistic. In looking at the engine the other day (I haven't tried starting it yet), I noticed two rubber hoses around 3/8 inch in diameter dangling on the starboard side (pics attached). Based on my interpretation of the engine manual, at least one of them is a water drain. Is the second one a drain as well? Is it one for the fresh water and the other for the raw water?

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Correct. One is a drain for the seawater side of things and the other for the antifreeze. I can never remember which, but when its time for me to clean my heat exchanger I drain from both.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Dunno.. I think one is a drain for the block (the one next to the fuel pump) and the other is a drain for the coolant side of the heat exchanger.. both on the coolant side of a 2 GMF.. seawater is only on the tube side (internal side of tubes) of the heat exchanger.. Seawater exits back side of the heat exchanger to the exhaust mixing ell.

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
I agree with Kloudie. Both tubings are drains for the Fresh Water/Antifreeze Coolant. Drain the "upper" one first, then drain the "lower"one.. Then drain the Sub-tank (to the right side of the engine facing aft from the cabin). Raw water goes from the Kingston Cock thru the Strainer, into the R.W. Pump, then to the heat exchanger, out of the Heat Exchanger, thru the vacuum break (anti-syphon) valve on the bulkhead aft of the engine, then into the mixing elbow, thru the water/exhaust muffler and out with the exhaust as a "wet exhaust" to sea.

Dec 22, 2012
Islander 30 Bahama Keyport
Thanks for all the info! I'm furiously cutting and pasting all the hints into my "database"...

Status
Not open for further replies.