2gm20 Manual Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Douglas Miller

I read in the Yanmar manual about hand starting the 2gm20. Anyone try this? Any caveats? Would be piece of mind to know a weak battery wouldn't result in being stranded.

B

Bob E.

Look in archives

Check the archives. There was a discussion about this a few months back. I think one person said he once say a 2GM20 hand started, but it was in the shop. Most people who tired failed. Also, there are some safety concerns.

J

Jay Eaton

Past Discussions

I remember seeing a discussion on the subject on SAILNET (hunter-list@sailnet.com). I believe several owners successfully tried it. Go on this e-mail net and ask.

J

James

A better solution...

Have you ever slipped off a two-person coffee grinder and tried to get back on...you have to be REAL careful...or you are going to get your wrist/arm/hand broken. I imagine the same risk is there when you hand crank an engine. Therefore, if you are concerned about being stranded...I have a wonderful solution. Go to an automotive store or even Walmart and buy a battrey jumper pack. For about eighty bucks..you can keep this thing charged and stowed away for such an emergency. They're great..I love mine...it even comes with a cigarette adapter if you want to use it as for an AC power source. It will start something like 25 cars before needing recharging.

Status
Not open for further replies.