299 Interior leaning towards bow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
The 299 I am rebuilding has a pronounced lean towards the bow while docked. All of the countertops seem to lean forward towards the v-berth. Is this normal or is there something seriously wrong with this boat. Any help locating 3 new stanchions to replace the bent ones I found would also be helpful. Thanks,,

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
John, It would seem that she is down by the

bow. Perhaps someone removed some essential heavy equipment from the stern. Does she appear to float on her lines? Sometimes when a boat is on the hard they aren't level. Put a good level in her and on her. Check everything. Check the cockpit seats and the cabin sole. Check the main bulkhead for plumb.

P

Paul

Ross

That brings up a point I have wondered about: When "on the hard" where do you fix level? cockpit seats seemed logical but>>>???

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Paul, I try for level athawrtships in the cockpit

that way I don't have puddles on one seat all winter. The yard is pretty good at keeping fore and aft level.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Stanchions

check out this link for stanchions: http://www.seidelmann-owners.com/Links.html Pick the link to: Stanchions, Custom Stanchions As concerns the leaning toward the bow, this is not normal. more info would be helpful. You may be able to fins a S299 near you at the Seidelmann-owners site

Jun 28, 2006
- - Boca Raton, FL
Down by the Bow

John: Unless the old holding bladder for the head is full.....anchor and rode in the forward locker(which I never used).....the water tank empty......fuel tank empty.....batterys moved forward.....I can think of no other reason for the boat sitting bow down in the water.....just double checked a few old pics of the boat at the dock....LEVEL...hope this gives you a place to start looking

Jul 16, 2006
- - newtown, pa
leaning

I have the same problem with my 1983 S-295. Boot stripe was also lower at the bow. Seidelmann factory rep gave me 50lbs of lead weights to place in stern lazarete to correct the problem - - it didn't. I removed the water tank under the v-berth and carry no chain. I have come to believe that this was no more than a miscalculated balance and construction problem. The boot was corrected when I painted the topsides; I have learned to live with the leaning.

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
Fore & Aft Yacht Trim

There are many things which can cause your vessel to have bow down trim.Most of the things to check have been stated by previous Seidelmann owners. The place to put a level is the cabin sole, at midships and approximately 1/2 way back....usually somewhere around the mast.This will tell you just how far out of trim you are(ruffly speaking).As you raise the forward end of the level you will see as the bubble lines up just how far you are out of trim[ie: .25"/.5",etc.]. In Naval Architecture we have a calculation called Moment to Trim 1". To spare you all the math and details I can tell you a simple method we used in some of the yacht manufactures I worked for.I still use it today to get an idea of the weight needed to bring about level trim.My office number is: 904-996-8820.I am usually there after 6pm[EST]M>F. Hawk Hawkins,NA s/v Rogue Wave

T

tom

concrete in the bow under the floor

I had this problem for the longest time until i discovered 300lbs of concrete under the sole int the bow ofthe boat. I have a 30T this ballast was put their by the manufacturer. As the floor /cabinet was assembled and placed on top of the crete. This problem showed up with bilge water remaining in the front of the boat under the shower stall becauase it could not make its way aft to the bilge pump. Also rain water would run down the deck and leak out amidships leaving black streaks down the side of the hull. The most significant problem was weatherhelm with the boat been so far out of balance, downwind sailing was nerve wracking. I did not change the bootstripe as this would only mask the problem and not fix it. My boat is still out of level at the bow but i am putting more equipment aft to remedy this.When on the hard i used a transit level on the bootstripe which was parralel with the cocpit seats ,interior sole and shelves varifying that it was the boat sitting in the water was the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.