29.5 Stuck Rusted Propane Tank - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MdStef

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 29.5 Arnold, Md
Hi. I just bought a 1994 Hunter 29.5, and the propane tank is rusted and stuck in the locker. I can't get it to budge at all. I tried liquid wrench along the base of it, but it did not help. Does anyone have any ideas how to get it out? Thanks!

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
I can not comment on how to get it out as I am unfamiliar with the installation.

Be very careful if you are prying back and forth on the cylinder. If the corrosion is severe enough it could rip a hole in the cylinder and cause a leak/explosion. I would highly recommend to empty the propane from the cylinder and keep the valve open when you are working the cylinder back and forth. If it is an older style valve the propane will escape at the valve by opening it. If it is a newer style valve, with the external threads, a regulator will have to be installed to allow the gas to flow.

Be safe.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
I just replaced mine on our 29.5. Severely rusted but not to that extent. Burned off the propane in my main grill and replaced the tanks. The rust has swollen the metal,t here may not be much skin left. I would try working in some rust dissolver of some type and try rocking it back and forth. I wouldn't try to pry anything on that tank.

I bought two tanks from Lowes(online) and then coated the bottoms in a spray rubber that is used on tool handles. Worked pretty good so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.