2800+ Engine Hours

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have been doing some preventative maintenance to my engine and in the process wanted to replace the valve cover gasket. To say I was surprised at the condition and cleanliness of the rockers, top of the head and valve cover would be an understatement. Sometimes it's tough to believe a PO about their oil change/maintenance schedules but I now believe.

I have seen engines with 400 hours totally gunked up and this one has 2800. I think I'll continue my maintenance schedule. This engine has only ever had Shell Rotella 15W/40..

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Re: 2800+ Hours..

It's not only clean, it appears devoid of ANY oil - did you clean it and/or are you sure oil is reaching the top of the head?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana

I am a big fan of Rotella T, even though I worked for their major competitor.. I have changed to the full synthetic Rotella now and use it in all my four stroke engines (three cars, one Yanmar, and the lawnmower and edger.).. That is the beauty of that oil, it is rated for use in gasoline and diesel engines. I figure the Mobil 1 diesel oil is probably equivalent but I can get the Shell product locally at Wally World

Feb 6, 1998
It's not only clean, it appears devoid of ANY oil - did you clean it and/or are you sure oil is reaching the top of the head?
Yes there was a thin film of oil coating the insides and that was taken before I cleaned it. The only reason I cleaned out the oil is that I will be re-painting the exterior.. Plenty of oil is reaching the top of the head, I know this because I inadvertently left my oil cap off last summer during an oil change and it took four hours to clean up... Plus remember this engine has been sitting since Nov so any thick oil drained back and only a thin film was left. I hardly doubt it would have reached 2800+ hours with no oil circulation..;)

Ray T

Jan 24, 2008
Hunter 216 West End - Seven Lakes

I took a basic diesel course over the winter a few years ago, and one of the things the instructor said was if you wanted to get a quick idea of the condition of a diesel take off the filler cap, if it was gunked up underneath you might want to steer clear because it most likely didn't have the maintenance it should have had.

Feb 6, 1998
Maine, What is your maintenance schedule? Just curious. Mike
I change my engine oil & filter every 30 to 40 hours of engine use. I also let my oil sump drain by gravity after I have "pumped it till it sucks air". I usually get at least another 1/4-1/3 of a quart in my bilge pad by letting it gravity drain. In the fall I do two oil changes (one filter but oil only on the second) with15 minutes of run time in between. My oil is totally spotless and as clean as it came out of the oil container.

It seems to be working. The PO changed it every 40-50 hours religiously and every fourth oil change did a double. he once let it go to 65 hours (in the log book) but only because he could not find Rotella T.

One other point is that I never shut my engine down before it has had a long enough run to burn out any start up condensation. I'll often sail in neutral with the motor idling and the engine driven fridge on. Short run times & condensation can do nasty things to engines..

I know this is way over kill but engines are expensive and oil is cheap.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas

What is your minimum run time and what other precautions do you take?

Jan 12, 2006
Catalina 25 All Over, USA

Your boat, your money, but IMHO, a huge over kill. Diesel engine oil should turn black...ask any trucker, who runs 20k between changes.

Feb 6, 1998
Your boat, your money, but IMHO, a huge over kill. Diesel engine oil should turn black...ask any trucker, who runs 20k between changes.
The oil systems in trucks carry huge volumes of oil with huge filters my little Westerbeke has a teeny tiny oil filter and about 4.5 quarts of oil. Truck engines are also not stuffed in a bilge that is regularly 80% RH and they are run long and hard something a sailboat AUX is not...

When your marine engine gets close to 3k hours we'll compare top ends..;);) Until then I'll continue with my minimal cost oil change schedule per year on a 20k engine installation. Three oil changes is about .48% of my total yearly boating budget, and VERY cheap insurance, yet a new engine or rebuild would be 200% or more of that same budget...

Most folks would not spend well over 1k replacing & rebuilding stuff that was working fine either. I choose to because I've seen failures that ruin weekends and vacations like starter, alternator, rear main seals, damper plates, stuffing box hoses, engine hoses and HX's that all seem to fail at bad times. Heck most folks don't even replace their impeller on a seasonal basis but come spring we'll have the usual onslaught of "my engine is over heating" threads...

What works for me may not be what you'd do. All I can do is show you the evidence and what happens when you change often, and don't do short runs, on a subject engine with close to 3k hours of use. What you do with this information is entirely up to you...

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine

My name is Tim and I also change my oil twice at haulout. There I said it. Now the healing can begin.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana

More Random Oil Notes:
The real question is not how dirty the oil looks but how much wear the engine is suffering. As a confessed gear head, I followed oil testing and formulations mostly within our company ( the one that posts record profits) . As the newer formulations were being developed, the labs in Sarnia, Ontario did a lot of endurance testing and comparison testing against the competitors. The test that impressed me was the 100,000 mile test that was done on trucks. The engines were never stopped during the test and teh oil was not changed. That oil was really black at the end of the test.. Black is not as bad as it seems because the soot particles that blow by the rings on a diesel are very much smaller than the clearances in the running engine. This includes the protective film layers on the running parts. Engine disassembly and measurements showed the truck engines to be essentially wear free except for the camshafts, the highest wear points in most engines. The cams were still well within tolerance but the wear could be measured. I am not trying to change anyone’s opinion here because the service on boats is much more severe (no cooling from air over the pan and crankcase, high humidity) than in trucks, but with today’s premium oils, there is very little risk of damaging an engine if changing oil and filter every season; I think the book says about 100 hours. The premium oils of today are very much better than oil was 10 years ago. That being said, it is cheap and if ya change it often, there is no need to go to the more expensive synthetics.. I'll stop now, but I can talk from this soapbox until eyes glaze over.. and may have just done that ..

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Mainsail, it doesn't [FONT=&quot]supprize me after seeing posts of your bilge that your valve cover would look so clean!
[/FONT]

Feb 6, 1998
For the doubters...

Here's the photo I promised. Don had hinted that perhaps I had cleaned the valve cover, and clearly I did not. There is no way to make the top end look this good at 2800 hours even with a tooth brush....;) Look close and you'll clearly see clean oil on bolt heads and in crevices, nooks & crannies.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
Re: For the doubters...

With the exception of one valve being slightly open. How did you get all the valves to close at the same time?

Keep it up,
Ctskip

Feb 6, 1998
With the exception of one valve being slightly open. How did you get all the valves to close at the same time?

Keep it up,
Ctskip
It's the camera angle and only appears that way..

Jul 12, 2006
- - nc
2800+ hours

Maine Sail, tell 'em the proof is in the puddin'. Your valve trian pic's are like brand new and I must assume the bearings would look the same. Nice job and thanks for maintenance schedule and all your informative posts, I know it takes time. Mike in NC